Grades: NS-8 | 110 students
- The Academy of St. Joseph is committed to a set of core beliefs. These beliefs define and bind the community together to create an enriched, vibrant and balanced educational experience for all students.
- We believe that by working together we can develop students who will embody our mission as people of character, of competence, and of compassion.
- The motto of the Academy of St. Joseph reflects the qualities and characteristics which are at the core of our mission.
- We seek to foster character, competence, and compassion in every student.
- We provide an environment in which every child can experience the joy and the love of learning and knowledge for the enrichment of themselves and of others.
- We endeavor to provide our students with experiences that will encourage them to excel at what they do, to embrace a cause or belief with passion and intelligence, and to always strive to treat people with respect and dignity.
- The mission of the Academy of St. Joseph is to provide a comprehensive academic education that also enables the intellectual, spiritual and moral development of students.
- This is accomplished by interested and dedicated teachers who motivate and guide their students through an academic and core curriculum integrated with the teachings of the Catholic Church, the humanities, and the wisdom of the ages.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||110 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Nov. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$26,000|
|Tuition Notes||Sibling discount of 10%|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Mrs. Colleen Vasey|
|Total Sports Offered||6 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Soccer, Track and FieldBallet, Cross Country,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||16 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art, Ballet, Chess, Choir, Computer Coding/App design, Cooking, Cross Country, Golf, Hip Hop Dance, Leadership, Piano, Robotics, Scholar's, Soccer, Sports, Yoga Art, Ballet, Chess, Choir, Cooking, Cross Country, Golf, Hip Hop Dance, Leadership, Piano, Robotics, Scholar's, Soccer, Sports, Yoga, Computer Coding/App design,
- Teacher recommendations are required from all applicants. Students applying to grade 1 must submit kindergarten grades, students applying to grades 2-8 must submit the last two years of grades and any standardize testing that was taken at previous schools.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New YorkGrades: K-9 | 229 students
240 Bleecker St
New York, NY 10014
New YorkGrades: K-12 | 681 students
610 East 83rd Street
New York, NY 10028
BrooklynGrades: KG-8 | 315 students
2602 E 19th St
Brooklyn, NY 11235
New YorkGrades: K-8 | 516 students
48 East 84th Street
New York, NY 10028
New YorkGrades: NS-8 | 563 students
234 East 22nd Street
New York, NY 10010
My son was one of the first graduating class at The Academy of Saint Joseph. He always said that one of the best things about the school were the friendships that he made while he was there. And I agree with him. My son started going to The Academy of St. Joseph in 6th Grade and the school has been like an extended family. It is a wonderful community ---small and intimate---which is rare in New York City. My other child started when she was in kindergarten. She is now in 2nd Grade and absolutely adores going to the school.
- Posted by Parent - mzlat
AOSJ has done a wonderful job welcoming our family. They have a fully differentiated curriculum, which allows them to meet students where they are and push them to their highest potential without separating them from their social peers. They don't have a gifted program, per se, but so far they've kept our 99th percentile 3rd grader on his toes! They also truly follow the Catholic mission of reaching out to those on the margins by welcoming students with special needs, with or without an IEP from the DoE. (If you don't know what that is, you're lucky!) They truly treat each child as an individual, give primacy to the parents as primary educators and work with them to ensure each child's needs are met. The administration is excellent! Parents and students alike know what to expect and what is expected of them. We are so blessed to have a Head of School with vision, practical skills, and the demeanor of your favorite teacher. And on top of all that, they are a diverse community that despite its small size has avoided becoming cliquish. We were welcomed warmly, made friends quickly, and fit in without having to play a part. AOSJ is a place where being unique is a virtue.Also, though the statistics say students of color make up 30% of the student body, it's worth taking into account that many families have one or more parent from another country, which isn't measured on this school profile. The diversity of the school is wonderful! From a student body of 110, more than 30 different countries were represented at International Day. Differences in language, family structure, culture, etc. are embraced. AOSJ is a place where being unique is a virtue.
- Posted by Parent - atreb
AOSJ provides an excellent education in an environment that is small enough to allow for individualized student attention. Teachers and parents remain in close communication throughout the school year. The AOSJ community is a warm and inviting group, focused on the best interests of the children.
- Posted by Parent - cnyar
The Academy is a wonderful, warm, caring environment with rigorous academic standards. The school really caters to the whole child. The teachers encourage students to perform well academically, while fostering in each student the personal responsibility and deep commitment to the community, both at the school and beyond. We couldn`t be happier.
- Posted by Parent - mulvi
As a native New Yorker who attended both parochial and independent catholic schools in the city, I am well aware that our family has found an educational gem in the Academy of Saint Joseph. Expectations run high, but each child's potential is individually cultivated by the dedicated faculty. The Head of the School is a visionary educator and her door is always open. This school is truly a rare find that strives to develop the whole child--intellectually, physically and spiritually with a challenging academic program, a first-rate athletic program that is likely unrivaled in similar small-school environments, and an emphasis on each student's responsibility to the community at large. I just wish they had a high school!
- Posted by Parent - kawee
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.