Grades: 9-12 | 80 students
Allynwood Academy is an accredited, nonsectarianboarding school for students ingrades 9–12, providing exceptional collegepreparatory education with individualizedplatforms of therapeutic support andindependence.
The Bridge is Allynwood’spremier college transition program.It combines personal guidance withacademic, therapeutic and recoverysupport to help students ages17–20 successfully navigate thepassage to college.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)
Other school association(s)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||29 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Number of AP Courses||8 courses|
|Average SAT score||1517|
|Average ACT score||22|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Certain brands prohibited)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,300|
|Tuition Notes||Tiered tuition cost based on platform. Safety platform is intensive at $375/day, Discovery Platform is structured/therapeutic at $6,300/mo and Achievement Platform mirrors traditional boarding at $19,200/6-mo semester.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Jeff Brain, M.A., CTS, CEP|
|Admissions Associate||Iris Maclean, MS|
|Total Sports Offered||12 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Winter TrackBasketball, Cross Country,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Weightlifting, Winter Track,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Journalism, Yearbook, Photography, Chess Journalism, Yearbook, Photography, Chess,|
- All young people deserve an educational experience that leads them to an exceptional life.
- Allynwood Academy builds on the35-year tradition of The FamilyFoundation School in helpingadolescents and their families findrecovery and restoration. Our legacybegan with parents who sought helpand healing for their own troubledrelationship and family throughthe 12-step program and who thenopened their hearts and home to otheryoung people, ultimately foundingthe school. The advancement ofthis mission is now the passion andlife’s work of their adult children.Remaining a family-run school isthe exception in the ever-changingcorporate therapeutic boardingschool industry, but Allynwoodcarries forward the vision of ourfounders—a family helping otherfamilies. It is both a calling andan honor to share our experience,strength and hope with your childand your family.
- At Allynwood, students join acommunity committed to learning about oneself, others and the world. Our motto, “Sapere Aude” (dare tobe wise), invokes our emphasis on wisdom, literature and our belief that education provides a distinct mode for personal transformation. Allynwood provides a college preparatory curriculum that each year successfully places our graduates in a wide range of colleges and universities across the country. Additionally, Allynwood offers our students opportunities to experience the challenges and freedoms of college learning while at the same time receiving academic and therapeutic support. Students can take college courses on our campus and, when ready, can commute to the local community college and earn college credits while still in high school. Allynwood will also help students thathave fallen behind their graduation cohort to acquire the academic help they need to catch up and prepare for the transition to college.Efficacy in learning emerges when ourstudents are rationally, emotionallyand physically engaged and whentheir personal interests are discoveredand cultivated. Therefore, we monitorand measure individual progressclosely and intervene in real time whenneeded. Our teachers have extensiveexperience addressing different learning styles as well as significant learning, emotional and behavioralchallenges in the classroom. Our year-round program and our many academic supports make us ideally suited to uncover and address gaps in learning and to provide opportunities for transcript repair.
- Allynwood Arts:
- Allynwood provides exceptional opportunities for students in the visual arts of drawing, painting, printmaking and photography; in the digital arts of design, audio recording, photo editing and filmmaking; and in the performing arts in music, dance and drama. Each year at Allynwood two main stage dramatic performances are mounted. Our award-winning choir has been invited to sing at world-renowned venues such as Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall in New York City. Our arts students have likewise been recognized in national competitions.Our students are provided with individualized studio mentoring to create the art portfolios and prepare for the performance auditions needed to gain entry into esteemed art,drama, dance and music programs at the collegiate level. Additionally, students have the authentic high school experience of publishing an on-line student newspaper, magazine and award-winning yearbook. Many Allynwood students have gone on to pursue college majors and careers in communications.
- Allynwood Athletics:
- At Allynwood, students can participate in varsity level sportssuch as soccer, basketball, crosscountry, golf andbaseball. Allynwood competes in Class D, Section IX in New York State high school athletics as part of the Orange County Interscholastic Athletic Association (OCIAA). Someteams are exclusively comprised of Allynwood students, while others are in combination with the local high school, providing a unique opportunity to be integrated withlocal high school students.
- Allynwood Canine Human Attunement Training and Therapy (CHAT)
- Research has demonstrated that early relational trauma (i.e., issues with attachment) is at the root of many of the diagnoses and strugglesour students experience, including anxiety, depression, school avoidance, gravitation toward negative peer groups/behavior, difficulty with authority and addiction—especially for students resistant to traditional dyadic therapeutic work. Using thehuman-canine bond, Allynwood’s unique curriculum for dog trainers and animal assisted therapy program helps these students develop the irrelational capacity, both in therapeutic context and in their peer and adult relationships. The Canine Human Attunement Training and Therapy program (CHAT) at Allynwood isboth a high school major in canine training and an animal assisted therapeutic intervention. It exemplifiesthe Allynwood conviction that a meaningful and interesting education can provide a transformative therapeutic experience.
- Allynwood Counseling
- Therapeutic support is available to allstudents at Allynwood depending on their individual needs. Credentialed therapists provide counseling with specific experience in adolescentissues and family counseling. Various therapeutic methods are used asdirected by each student’s individual service plan and diagnoses, including cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
- Allynwood's Bridge college transition program:
- The Bridge program is a recovery basedcollege transition program for young adults ages 17–20. It provides individualized support for students transitioning from a therapeutic setting who need academic ,therapeutic and/or recovery support as they begin their college experience.The Bridge is appropriate for students who have experienced difficulty completing high school or getting into college or those who have been discharged or dropped out of college and wish to have a second start. Bridge students live in premier college student housing in Binghamton,N.Y. and are enrolled in the local community college, SUNY Delhi or Binghamton University. They are learning to live independently and manage the challenges of college life while receiving individualized academic, therapeutic, case management and recovery support.
November 21, 2016
What is really important in choosing a private school? Ranks? Academics? Financial aid? Sports programs? Arts programs? One of these criteria doesn't matter. The others do.
November 09, 2016
Private School Review has a robust search engine which will make your private school search process much easier to do. Here are some tips on how to use this tool.
November 09, 2016
We take a look at the enormous impact a private foundation can have on education.