Grades: 9-12 | 40 students
Areté Preparatory Academy is a private high school located in West Los Angeles.
As a deliberately small school with a student population of 45 we enjoy close contact with all students and parents.
Seminar-sized classes allow us to meet individual needs and passions.
In our first six years, we have worked to create a program that ignites students’ curiosity while preparing them for top-tier colleges and universities.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||40 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||6 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Clark Brandon|
- Our unique academic approach is exemplified by our required quarterly Symposia. Every three months students work with faculty members, noted scholars and community members to produce, share, and publish original work based on a provocative philosophical theme. Past Symposium topics have included “This Changes Everything”, “A Dangerous Idea”, “Relative or Absolute?” and “(De)Constructions”. Through weekly symposium seminars, students learn to discern reliable resources, perform close reading, and to organize and analyze ideas. A variety of creative activities and extensive feedback help students overcome their “blocks” and develop exciting, original projects. Symposium projects are published in Aporia, our school’s academic journal.
- Our required four-year Great Ideas curriculum combines history, philosophy, and the sciences to address the perennial questions of human existence. This cross-disciplinary program introduces students to the important issues in Western and non-Western thought, encouraging the use of historical and contemporary examples to support students’ own emergent philosophical positions. Recent Great Ideas courses have included Free Will and Determinism; Common Sense, Political Economy and World Affairs; Caught in the Matrix; Epistemology, Skepticism and Truth; Mind, Brain and Evolution; and Ethics and Technology. Our Philosopher’s Toolkit seminar helps new students develop higher order thinking skills in preparation for more advanced classes.
- Areté also offers exciting opportunities in math, science, and technology. Our newly launched Neuroscience program offers unique, in-depth exposure to a cutting-edge field. Led by a researcher from USC, the program offers hands-on learning experiences and internship opportunities at premier research institutions. We participate in the prestigious American Mathematics Competition; last year, two of our students placed in the top 1% in the nation. The Areté Science Lab/Technology Workshop is equipped with tools for exploration and invention, including DNA sequencing equipment, forensics tools, electronics components, a frictionless kinematics track, a 3D printer, Arduino microcontrollers and sensors, robotics equipment, and more.
- Our students also excel outside the classroom. We recently joined the CIF and our Cross Country team is in its second year. We will be adding a swimming team this year, and basketball in the near future. Participants in the Areté Leadership Corps seminar develop and oversee their own community service/experiential learning programs. We offer one-on-one learning opportunities and the opportunity to gain college credit while in high school. Areté emphasizes socioeconomic and cultural diversity. 40% of our students obtain financial aid and through our Scholarship Fund we actively recruit bright students that lack the financial means to attend a private school.
- We invite you to consider Areté for your highly qualified student. While we fill up fast and space is limited, we are always interested in meeting candidates. I welcome you to visit our campus, meet us and see if our high school is the right choice for your child.
Profile last updated: 12/14/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Los AngelesGrades: 5-12 | 145 students
11801 Mississippi Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Los AngelesGrades: K-12 | 724 students
12201 Washington Place
Los Angeles, CA 90066
Santa MonicaGrades: K-12 | 1159 students
1714 21st St
Santa Monica, CA 90404
Santa MonicaGrades: 9-12 | 230 students
1730 Wilshire Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Santa MonicaGrades: 9-12 | 93 students
1424 Yale St
Santa Monica, CA 90404