Actually if you look at the beginnings of most private schools, you will discover that their original clientele were not children from wealthy families. Many of the founders of schools back in colonial times - the Phillips family, for example - saw education as the way forward for the infant democracy which was the United States. In order for the nation to survive it needed a literate, educated, proficient population. European crusaders like Dr. Maria Montessori and Rudolf Steiner - the founder of the Waldorf Schools movement - began their work among the poor and working classes. Their teachings captured the imagination of American middle and upper classes when their movements spread to the United States.
What's not to like about sports? Schooling throughout the centuries has always had a physical education component. Think Olympics. The ancient Romans had...
A Classical Christian education will emphasize traditional subjects such as rhetoric.It will also infuse every aspect of its teaching with evangelistic fire and purpose. Religion in a Classical Christian school is not an option any more than it is in a Muslim or Jewish or Roman Catholic school. All these schools can take valuable teaching time to accomplish their missionary objectives because they take no state funds. They basically can march to their own pedagalogical tune as long as their clientele is satisfied that the school is doing a good job.
What about prep schools? Religion for most prep schools is merely one more subject offering on the curriculum menu. That does not mean that religion and spiritual values are not taught....
That's because schools try to standardize the kind of laptop used. It makes support and configuration issues much, much easier for the IT staff.
For example, here's what The Hotchkiss School has to say about the issue:
"Beginning with the 2011-2012 school year, The Hotchkiss School will issue Macbook computers to all incoming Preps and Lower Mids. Returning Lower Mids will be re-issued the same computer they used the previous school year. Each student will use the computer during the school year throughout his or her career at Hotchkiss. "
Handheld devices such as iPads and Android tablets are permitted in many schools. BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) makes great sense on so many levels because the devices are so common and relatively inexpensive. Indeed handhelds are rapidly replacing desktop computers as one can see from declining desktop sales.
Integrating a variety of handheld devices into the classroom presents a variety of challenges for most schools. First off, the network environment has to be secure. That requires significant expenditures on the backend to ensure that every...
- Ashley Hall, Charleston, SC: Alexandra Ripley, Barbara Bush, Madeleine L'Engle
- Baylor School, Chattanooga, TN: Arthur Golden
- The Brooks School, North Andover, MA: Steve Forbes
- Canisius High School, Buffalo, NY: Tim Russert
- Cardinal Hayes High School, New York, NY: George Carlin
- Choate-Rosemary Hall, Wallingford, CT: Glenn Close, Ivanka Trump, Jamie Lee Curtis, Jodie Foster, John Dos Passos, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Michael Douglas
- Cushing Academy, Ashburnham, MA: Bette Davis
- The Dwight School, New York, NY: Paris Hilton
- Emma Willard School, Troy, NY: Jane Fonda
- Episcopal High School, Alexandria, VA: John McCain
- Eton College, Berkshire, England: Prince Harry, Prince William
- Gulliver Preparatory, Miami, FL: Enrique Iglesias, George Prescott Bush
- Harding Academy, Nashville, TN: Reese Witherspoon
- Harvard-Westlake School, Los Angeles, CA: Tori Spelling
- The Hill School, Pottstown, PA: Oliver Stone
- The Hotchkiss School, Lakeville, CT: Archibald MacLeish
- Horace Mann School, New York, NY: Eliot Spitzer
- Kent Denver School, Englewood, CO: Madeline Albright
- Kent School, Kent, CT: Ted Danson
- Lakeside School, Seattle, WA: Bill Gates
- The Madeira School, Mclean, VA: Stockard Channing
- McCallie School, Chatanooga, TN: Ted Turner
- Mercersburg Academy, Mercersburg, PA: James Stewart
- Milton Academy, Milton, MA: Edward Kennedy
- Miss Porter's School, Farmington, CT: Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis
- Northfield Mt. Hermon School, Northfield, MA: Natalie...