Grades: PK-8 | 238 students
- Aurora Waldorf (AWS) an independent school celebrating 25 years of Education that Rings True, offers a rigorous curriculum including an outstanding program of movement, arts and practical skills. AWS is located only minutes from East Aurora and Orchard Park on a 13-acre campus that contains large playing fields, woods, streams, playgrounds and gardens. AWS is the only private, coeducational and non-sectarian school in the Southtowns that offers education for children from pre-school through 8th grade.
- One of over 900 Waldorf schools in 53 countries affiliated with the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America and a NYSAIS member, AWS is located at 525 West Falls Road in the Village of West Falls. Students come from 14 WNY school districts.
- There is bus service for students in the city of Buffalo and northern suburbs.
- Distinctive, proven educational methods have made Waldorf the fastest growing independent school movement in the world.
- Students at AWS play outdoors and indoors every day with joyful, purposeful engagement through the arts and hands-on projects.
- A beautifully warm environment and a delicious lunch program cited by internationally reknown chef, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution and awarded the Kiwi Crusaders Award for Healthy Lunches, make AWS students not only love learning, but also love school. www.aurorawaldorfschool.org.
|School Type||Waldorf School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association of Waldorf Schools of North America
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||238 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||17 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Jane Ried|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cross Country, Gymnastics, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,
Cross Country, Gymnastics,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
- Whole child education: artistic, intellectual, practical and moral
- Fosters critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Hands-on, experiential learning
- Cooperative learning and teamwork are encouraged
- Class teachers stay with the children through multiple grades, developing strong relationships with each child and parent
Profile last updated: 09/18/2015
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
East AuroraGrades: NS-K | 51 students
46 Grey Street
East Aurora, NY 14052
South WalesGrades: 7-12 | 135 students
Po Box 85
South Wales, NY 14139
East AuroraGrades: KG-8 | 213 students
510 Oakwood Ave
East Aurora, NY 14052
Orchard ParkGrades: PK-8 | 234 students
4414 S Buffalo St
Orchard Park, NY 14127
East AuroraGrades: K-8 | 17 students
738 Main Street
East Aurora, NY 14052
In an age where education institutions are so incredibly focused on quantity over quality and where rampant bureaucracy reigns supreme, Waldorf is an exception. Simply put, children leave this school with the ability and desire to learn, they do not leave with a head full of "stuff" and an anxious disdain for education. The professionalism and dedication I've witnessed at this school is unrivaled. For the educators and staff at this school, it is not a job, it is a vocation and that is glaringly apparent to me on a daily basis and is reflected in the success of graduates over its 25 year existence. I have had the unique experience of being the spouse of a Waldorf teacher and now the parent of two Waldorf students. I have watched my wife's students take flight as babies in first grade to become successful, bright, funny, caring and responsible young men and women. Now, I see the benefits of this education firsthand as a parent. I couldn't imagine my children being in any other school and I appreciate every day the foundation of learning that is being constructed in their character and look forward to their success and growth. The world needs more Waldorf students, bright young, creative stewards!
- Posted by Parent - jpqui
AWS is simply the best education in the Western New York area. Freedom from standardized testing, acres of land (creek and meadow included!), incredibly dedicated and talented teachers, truly wonderful families, an amazing lunch program and a city bus (!) with a rock-solid, rigorous and incredibly challenging pedagogy that will forever change that way you look at education. Our children are thriving. Yours can too.
- Posted by Parent - scd4
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.