Grades: K-12 | 383 students
After weeks' of practice, Bay Ridge Prep Lower School students perform for their families and friends at the annual Winter Arts Show.
Days before graduation, a Bay Ridge Prep senior student gives a huge hug to a math and science teacher as thanks for years of support, guidance and friendship.
The Bay Ridge Prep Varsity Baseball team pauses for a group photo moments after capping their perfect season with a championship win.
Bay Ridge Prep offers over a dozen interscholastic athletic teams for students to continue developing physically, mentally and socially.
In a Bay Ridge Prep Global History course, students take turns giving oral presentations as a way to practice public communication skills while educating themselves and their peers on important topics that shape today's world.
Middle School students at Bay Ridge Prep take part in leadership and team-building activities as part of the regular school-day curriculum.
Bay Ridge Prep's history is a source of great pride for our entire academic community and helps shape our mission and culture.
Our school was started by a group of committed faculty, parents, and students who shared a child-centered educational vision.
What began as a one-room schoolhouse with 30 students in grades K-12 has flourished and grown into an institution with 400 students and over 100 faculty and staff members.
Along with this rapid growth, we have strengthened our commitment to the original vision of the school.
All members of the Bay Ridge Prep community continue to feel they are part of something larger than themselves, that they are in fact, part of a mission.
As one visiting educator recently observed, Bay Ridge Prep is "obviously a labor of love.".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||383 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||85 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Number of AP Courses||6 courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Dress Code Required)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Wendy Freeburn|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Soccer,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Anime, Art, Band, Basketball, Chess, Culinary Arts, Dance, Drama/Theatre, Jazz Band, Literary Journal, Martial Arts, Music/Vocal Lessons, Newspaper, Photography, Pottery, Tennis, Track, Yearbook Anime, Art, Band, Basketball, Chess, Culinary Arts, Dance, Drama/Theatre, Jazz Band, Martial Arts, Newspaper, Photography, Pottery, Tennis, Track, Yearbook, Literary Journal,
- We provide students with tools of inquiry that will promote their success in life. In addition to learning important facts and concepts, students use research methods to identify and solve problems, to analyze and evaluate information, and to synthesize and apply the results to new situations. In this context, teachers become facilitators of learning. We seek to help students attain a deeper understanding of concepts and issues that are pervasive and enduring.
- We recognize that motivation to learn increases when students are confident about their abilities, advocate for their educational pursuits, and identify connections between what they are learning and their own lives. Teachers strengthen the self-efficacy of their students by organizing instruction around the variety of ways students learn and engaging students in integrative learning experiences that utilize the broad spectrum of their skills and abilities.
- We value the importance of emotional intelligence in helping students create lives that are professionally satisfying and personally fulfilling. Toward that end we create a school community that includes the following: cooperative and experiential learning, role modeling in social interactions among the teachers and students, and school-wide practices that develop self-awareness and encourage social responsibility.
- We believe that individuals have a greater impact on the world when they are self-confident, cognizant of their strengths and weaknesses, and prepared to pursue their interests and passions. Students are exposed to issues that challenge their beliefs, values, and actions, and to experiences that celebrate differences among themselves and others. Through active involvement in building community consciousness within the immediate school environment, students' horizons are broadened to include issues of social justice. Students begin to understand and pursue the responsibilities of being citizens of local, national and global communities.
Profile last updated: 09/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 148 students
8515 Ridge Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11209
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 818 students
181 Lincoln Place
Brooklyn, NY 11217
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 968 students
9216 7th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11228
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 1090 students
170 Joralemon St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 832 students
375 Pearl St
Brooklyn, NY 11201