Grades: 9-12 | 83 students
Beacon Academy merges Montessori principles with independent school best practices to create an interdisciplinary curriculum that emphasizes self-directed learning, strong writing skills, and an international mindset.
Beacon’s curriculum embodies the principle of “learning by doing” by affording students abundant opportunities for hands-on investigation, student-centered discussions, experimentation, critical thinking and fieldwork. Moving beyond the traditional conception of a classroom, students at Beacon Academy engage in fieldwork and apprenticeships with experts with whom they can problem-solve, collaborate, and contribute to ongoing projects of far-reaching significance.
Beacon is a community school in the strongest sense of the word with Evanston and greater Chicago serving as our extended campus. .
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Independent Schools Association of the Central States
Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||83 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Advanced Courses||Beacon Academy is an International Baccalaureate Programme Candidate School|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 18|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,900|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Kate Anderson|
|Admissions Associate||Katie Petzer|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Sailing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Cross Country,
Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Film Club, GSA, Model UN, Rock Band, Service Learning, Sign Language Club Film Club, GSA, Model UN, Rock Band, Service Learning,
Sign Language Club,
- Beacon Academy offers an innovative and challenging education based on Montessori principles that places a priority on experiential learning, entrepreneurial thinking, and in-depth interdisciplinary studies. Beacon students will master the skills, knowledge, and habits of mind necessary to meaningfully contribute to a complex and diverse world with compassion and confidence.
- Beyond the Classroom: Institutional Partnerships
- Piven Theatre (piventheatre.org), a nationally recognized theatre workshop, will partner with Beacon in delivering its drama program.
- Evanston Art Center (evanstonartcenter.org), one of the finest art schools in Chicago, will help to provide instruction and curriculum in Beacon’s visual arts program.
- The Musical Offering (themusicaloffering.org), a top-notch music school in Evanston, will support our music curriculum and programming.
- Northwestern’s Office of STEM Education Partnerships (osep.northwestern.edu) will augment Beacon’s math, science, and technology program.
- The Center for Talent Development (ctd.northwestern.edu) will provide students with access to dozens of challenging and specialized courses so they can actively pursue studies of personal interest at advanced levels.
- Beacon is within walking distance of the Evanston Public Library (epl.org), one of the best libraries in Chicagoland. Our students will have access to their significant database collection, almost 500,000 books, and first-rate staff.
Profile last updated: 09/28/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Arlington HeightsGrades: PK-12 | 882 students
502 W Euclid Avenue
Arlington Heights, IL 60004
EvanstonGrades: PK-12 | 252 students
1200 Davis Street
Evanston, IL 60201
October 20, 2016
Among the many forms which you must complete when applying to private school is something called The Candidate Statement. Here's what it is involved in preparing this document.
October 19, 2016
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
October 18, 2016
Submit your employment application the way a Swiss watch craftsman builds a watch. With precision and accuracy.