- A passion for learning is at the heart of Berkeley Carroll.
- The school is a creative and intellectual community where devoted teachers challenge and engage talented students.
- Our demanding curriculum and vibrant civic life prepare our diverse graduates for success in college and for the greater endeavor—a life of critical, ethical, and global thinking.
- Berkeley Carroll is an independent, college preparatory day school providing coeducational programs for children in prekindergarten through grade 12. Officially chartered by New York state in 1886, Berkeley Carroll is one of the oldest independent schools in New York City.
- Located in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn, Berkeley Carroll has established partnerships with its cultural neighbors, including the Brooklyn Conservatory of Music, Mark Morris Dance Company, and the Polytechnic Institute of NYU as well as its partnership with the Johns Hopkins University.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||818 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||105 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Dec. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||There is a Tuition Schedule for grades Pre-K-12.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Vanessa C. Prescott|
|Admissions Associate||Jennifer Brown|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter TrackBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Dance,
Track and Field, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||39 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||8th Grade Upper School Buddies Program, Amnesty International, Art Squad, Awareness Day Facilitators, Best Buddies, Blotter (School Newspaper), Broadway Club, Chamber, Choir, Comic Book Club, DAIS, Dance Club, Diversity Day Facilitators, Environmental Club, Film Appreciation, GASP, Girls to Women, Honor Council, Jazz Band, Lion's Pride (Community Service Club), Mu Alpha Theta (Math Club), NIA, P.O.C. (People of Color), POC Lower School Buddies Program, Peer Leadership, Peer Tutors Program, Photo Club, Psychology Club, Reflections (School Literary Magazine), Social Justice, Speech and Debate, Student Ambassador Program, Student Diversity Leadership Conference, Student Government, Sustainability Club, Theater Tech, United Nations Group, World Affairs Breakfast Club, Yearbook Art Squad, Best Buddies, Broadway Club, Chamber, Choir, DAIS, Dance Club, GASP, Girls to Women, Honor Council, Jazz Band, NIA, Photo Club, Social Justice, Theater Tech, Yearbook, 8th Grade Upper School Buddies Program,
Awareness Day Facilitators,
Blotter (School Newspaper),
Comic Book Club,
Diversity Day Facilitators,
Lion's Pride (Community Service Club),
Mu Alpha Theta (Math Club),
P.O.C. (People of Color),
POC Lower School Buddies Program,
Peer Tutors Program,
Reflections (School Literary Magazine),
Speech and Debate,
Student Ambassador Program,
Student Diversity Leadership Conference,
United Nations Group,
World Affairs Breakfast Club,
- Berkeley Carroll is an independent, college preparatory day school providing coeducational programs for children in prekindergarten through grade 12. The Berkeley Carroll School is a dynamic community sustained by a passion for learning where the relationship between student and teacher is paramount. We offer students a stimulating and rigorous program in the liberal arts and sciences, the creative arts, and physical education. Teachers create learning experiences that foster intellectual curiosity and imagination grounded in disciplined study. Students find their individual voice through open discussion, independent thought, respectful dissent, and the pursuit of new challenges. Berkeley Carroll strives to be a diverse place where everyone is encouraged to participate, everyone is cared for, and belief in and respect for one another are fundamental. We value integrity, kindness, and understanding. The school maintains a strong relationship with parents, whose involvement is actively sought and appreciated. Berkeley Carroll is committed to the highest standards of ethical behavior.
Profile last updated: 08/25/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 1090 students
170 Joralemon St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 968 students
9216 7th Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11228
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 860 students
375 Pearl St
Brooklyn, NY 11201
BrooklynGrades: PK-12 | 148 students
8515 Ridge Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11209
BrooklynGrades: K-12 | 383 students
8101 Ridge Boulevard
Brooklyn, NY 11209
My daughter's formative years were spent here at Berkeley Carroll. It's outstanding faculty and curriculum engaged and prepared her to succeed as a student. Highly recommend.
- Posted by Parent - J. Stern
My twin sons have been there since kindergarten. They are in the ninth grade now. I wouldn't send them anywhere else. The classes are rigorous; the teachers understanding, and (most of all) the environment is rigorous and supportive. Also, the technology program is unmatched as far as I can tell.
- Posted by Parent - jstec
My daughter transferred here in high school after attending an Upper East Side elementary/middle school. The transition was seamless. The courses remain rigorous and intellectually challenging (and the offerings are wide-ranging), but the atmosphere is more relaxed and grounded. We couldn't be happier.
- Posted by Parent - amyri