- Berkwood Hedge School is an independent kindergarten through fifth grade school located in central Berkeley.
- Our developmental philosophy is based on the understanding that children construct their own knowledge of the world through active and collaborative exploration of their learning environment.
- We see children as competent, articulate, and curious individuals who learn by doing things themselves.
- Our experienced teachers create lessons, materials, and activities that challenge and engage a diverse range of students.
- Our teachers excel at bringing social and academic learning together in emotionally safe classroom environments.
- Curriculum is designed to help students ask questions about society, examine popular culture, and think critically about school life.
- Social justice and service learning activities are integrated throughout the academic curriculum.
- Our strong core curriculum of mathematics, language arts, social studies, and science is supplemented by a vibrant enrichment program including Spanish, Art, Music, Physical Education and Environmental Science and our older students add an inspiring Drama program.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||104 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||9 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||18 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Debbie Lloyd|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 304 students
2027 7th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
BerkeleyGrades: K-8 | 88 students
2722 Benvenue Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94705
OaklandGrades: K-12 | 871 students
4315 Lincoln Ave
Oakland, CA 94602
OaklandGrades: PK-8 | 197 students
2101 Livingston St
Oakland, CA 94606
AlamedaGrades: PK-5 | 125 students
1421 High Street
Alameda, CA 94501