Grades: 9-12 | 193 students
The Blue Ridge School's a cappella choir, The Barontones, perform at school and in the Charlottesville area.
While Blue Ridge School's sports offerings are extensive, there are options for those who are more interested in art, music, drama, and the outdoors.
Fishing and canoeing on our lake, located in the center of campus, is a great afternoon or weekend option.
Snow on campus is a rare treat. But there is enough snow throughout the winter in the local ski resorts to take students skiing several times a week.
BRS is an all boys, college preparatory boarding school with grades nine through twelve.
We are a private school that serves young men who respond well to small classes, a structured environment and a strong sense of community.
Our teachers challenge each boy to reach beyond his current level of performance and expectation to discover his potential.
We develop character by nurturing qualities such as integrity, courage, perseverance and empathy.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia/Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||193 students|
|Student Body Type||All-boys|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Dual Enrollment Courses with Piedmont Virginia Community College|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(dress pants, jacket and tie)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$44,750|
|Tuition Notes||Baron Scholarships are awarded to five 9th graders each year. The scholarships total $105,000.|
|Admissions Director||Jamie Miller III '91|
|Admissions Associate||Matt Munsey|
|Total Sports Offered||16 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Weightlifting, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Climbing, Cross Country,
Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse,
Mountain Biking, Mountaineering,
Rock Climbing, Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||2 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Choir, Theatre Choir, Theatre,|
- The average class size is nine and the average student load per teacher is 40. This allows teachers to give personalized attention and individualize teaching materials for their classes. Blue Ridge School understands that boys learn differently from girls, and the School uses a Learning Model designed specifically for boys.
- Social Activities, the Arts, Clubs, Community Service and Athletics are valuable vehicles for the development of young men. Blue Ridge School offers a number of different co-curricular programs that build self-esteem and develop leadership and teamwork skills.
- Blue Ridge School has been built upon the values of integrity, civility and a strong sense of work ethic. Our Code of Conduct is unique in the way that it is written for both our students and the adult members of our community. Additionally our code incorporates the concept of Brother's Keeper - promoting a peer culture of responsibility and obligation to each other.
- The Blue Ridge School campus is located twenty miles from Charlottesville, Virginia and only 2.5 hours from Washington D.C. and Richmond, Virginia. Our campus, which comprises nearly 800 acres, lies at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
175 Hickory St
Charlottesville, VA 22902
CharlottesvilleGrades: 8-12 | 170 students
1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
CharlottesvilleGrades: NS-12 | 730 students
2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Flint HillGrades: NS-12 | 189 students
P.O. Box 739
Flint Hill, VA 22627
Woodberry ForestGrades: 9-12 | 396 students
898 Woodberry Forest Rd
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989