Grades: K-8 | 89 students
Maximum class sizes of 12 students, allow for personal attention, and in depth discussion. The children are encouraged to ask questions and think critically.
The pure joy of learning through play in our natural setting is interwoven throughout the day. Childhood is preserved at Blue Rock School!
Teacher spending time reading one-on-one with student outside. Smaller class sizes allow for more personal attention.
Middle school continues to be a special time at Blue Rock. Students engage in long term, independent class projects.
Learning comes alive at Blue Rock! The Kindergarten classrooms observe and document the growth of chickens from hatchling to full grown chicken.
- Blue Rock is lower Hudson Valley`s only progressive, independent day school for grades K-8.
- Founded in 1987 to provide an alternative and holistic educational experience, Blue Rock offers a hands-on and experiential environment.
- In small class settings, children follow their natural curiosity and innate love of learning.
- Critical thinking, collaboration and creativity is encouraged, as students engage in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and discovery-based curriculum infused with the arts, nature, and play.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||89 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||11 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,800|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition for half day Kindergarten is $12,500 and tuition for full day students from K-8th grade is $20,800|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Beverly Stycos|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Guitar Lessons, Horseback Riding, Karate Club, Sewing Club Guitar Lessons, Karate Club, Sewing Club, Horseback Riding,
- Blue Rock provides an alternative and more holistic educational experience. Offering a hands-on, experiential approach and unique learning environment to encourage children to follow their own natural curiosity and innate love of learning. Small class settings engage children in a dynamic, multidisciplinary, and discovery-based curriculum infused with the arts, nature, and play, while encouraging critical thinking, collaboration and creativity.
- Practicing a commitment to civil discourse and global community, students actively engage in an educational environment which fosters respect, harmony and an understanding and appreciation of the diversity. Social Learning and positive communication skills are embedded into our curriculum. Students learn that conflict and resolution are important and meaningful parts of successful coexistence, as natural moments of disagreement are used to deepen understanding and hone listening skills.
- Our exceptionally talented and committed teachers consciously choose to teach in an environment where the relationship to the students is at the center and the bridge from which curriculum and academic/artistic achievement are reached.The majority of teachers have Masters degrees in education, as well as additional degrees in Special Education and the Arts. All our teachers hold in common an open and questioning attitude toward the art of education, and that learning is a lifetime journey.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
CongersGrades: PK-12 | 124 students
34 Kings Highway
Congers, NY 10920
GarnervilleGrades: PK-8 | 300 students
29 Cinder Rd
Garnerville, NY 10923
NanuetGrades: PK-8 | 220 students
34 West Nyack Road
Nanuet, NY 10954
BlauveltGrades: 2-9 | 74 students
488 Western Hwy
Blauvelt, NY 10913
GoshenGrades: K-8 | 153 students
77 Murray Ave
Goshen, NY 10924
My children attend Blue Rock School ranging from Kindergarten through Sixth Grade and I am more impressed each year with the focus and passion of the teachers and administrators. My kids are out doors for recess for an hour each day! They love going to school, they enjoy learning, and I feel that they are being educated in a way that acknowledges the effects of body and soul on the intellectual life of a child. If you are looking for an option that will support your child in every possible way you can imagine, Blue Rock School is your place.
- Posted by Parent - gitik
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.