- Browne Academy is a diverse independent day school committed to developing the whole child through extraordinary teaching, exceptional academic programs, and a nurturing community.
- We empower students to be critical thinkers, inspired innovators, engaged peers, and ethical leaders prepared with the confidence to thrive in a dynamic world.
- Browne Academy began as one of the first integrated schools in Virginia.
- Today that spirit of inclusion endures, as our core values excellence, diversity, character, and community are an integral part of our school`s tapestry.
- By encouraging all members of our community to exemplify these values every day, we are building a foundation of empathy and respect that will serve our students throughout their lives.
- We believe in providing our students with experiential learning opportunities that encourage thoughtful questioning, personal engagement, use of the greater community, and a deeper understanding of the world.
- Through our inquiry-based approach, we strive to foster our students` natural curiosity and develop their lifelong love of learning.
- We intentionally keep our class sizes small to nurture each child`s academic, social, and emotional growth.
- Students feel safe and cared for in such an environment, and as a result, we see them thrive.
- Our graduates are equipped both academically and personally to navigate life after Browne Academy with confidence.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Total Students||211 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||38 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Khaki bottom, Polo top - different colors allowed)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$29,110|
|Tuition Notes||Preschool Tuition: $15,720 - $23,980(dependent on Preschool 3 or 4, and half or full day) K-8 Tuition: $29,110|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John Bonhom|
|Admissions Associate||Elise Morrow-Schap|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate FrisbeeBasketball, Cross Country,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art, Ballet, Cooking, Private Music Lessons, Science, Tae Kwon Do Art, Ballet, Cooking, Science, Tae Kwon Do, Private Music Lessons,
Each student at Browne Academy is an individual, with a unique complement of talents, interests, abilities and experiences. Our purpose is to nurture those individual qualities as the basis for excellence and achievement. Education at Browne emphasizes creative problem-solving and critical thinking skills with an interdisciplinary curriculum that respects multi-cultural perspectives and promotes an open-minded view of the world. Our outstanding faculty works with students and families to foster a dynamic learning experience, inside and outside the classroom, that stimulates curious minds and keeps them working.
Browne Academy`s teachers share a love of subject matter in their respective specialties and an abiding interest in children and their development. Each teacher`s goal is to make every student in a class feel capable and confident, working with each child as an individual to give them the tools for success in the next chapter of their education.
Browne Academy At-a-Glance
Grades served: Preschool 3 Grade 8
Average Class size: 12
Core values: Excellence, Diversity, Character, Community
Inquiry-based approach to education
Hands-on learning opportunities
Maker Space opening in fall 2016, providing hands-on experiences for Preschool through Grade 8 students
Learning specialists on site
Full-time nurse on site
- French and Spanish beginning in Preschool
- Physical Education
- 1:1 iPads, Grades 3-5
- 1:1 Chromebooks, Grades 6-8
- Smart boards in every classroom, Kindergarten- Grade 8
- Before and After Care
- After-school enrichment classes
- Winter and spring break camps
- Summer camp
- Conveniently located in Alexandria, just outside the Beltway
- 1 mile from the Huntington Metro
- 2 miles from King Street Metro
- 7 miles to George Washington`s Mount Vernon
- 4 miles to Kingstowne
- Sustainable gardens
- Multiple play lots and sports fields
- Basketball court and climbing wall
- Center for Athletics and Performing Arts
- Preschool building
- Lower School building
- Middle School building
- Dedicated Maker Space
- Greystone administration building
- Lower School fine arts building
- Campus creek and habitat restoration sites
- Outdoor swimming pool
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlexandriaGrades: PK-8 | 275 students
3700 Burgundy Road
Alexandria, VA 22303
AnnandaleGrades: NS-8 | 271 students
3819 Gallows Road
Annandale, VA 22003
AlexandriaGrades: K-8 | 205 students
2400 Russell Rd
Alexandria, VA 22301
Falls ChurchGrades: NS-8 | 341 students
3229 Sleepy Hollow Rd
Falls Church, VA 22042
Mc LeanGrades: K-12 | 1039 students
1301 Potomac School Rd
Mc Lean, VA 22101