Grades: 9-12 | 105 students
Carlbrook School is a private, coeducational, college preparatory therapeutic boarding school located on 200 acres (0.81 km2) in Halifax, Virginia.
The school serves approximately 100 students in grades 9-12 and is nonsectarian in orientation.
Admission to Carlbrook is selective, focusing primarily on students of high aptitude and potential who have struggled academically or socially in previous educational environments.
To date, Carlbrook School has graduated almost 700 alumni, many of which have gone on to graduate from or are currently enrolled in highly regarded academic institutions located across the country and around the world.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)
Association for Experiential Education (AEE)
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
National Association of College Admissions Counselors
Educational Records Bureau
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||105 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||18 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Calculus, Chemistry, French Language, Latin: Vergil, Physics, Spanish Language|
|Average SAT score||1842|
|Average ACT score||27|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Grant Price|
|Admissions Associate||Jessica Whitlow|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||11 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Ceramics, Chorus, Community Service, Community Service, Dance/Theatre, Flag Football, Instrumental Music, Intramural Basketball, Intramural Soccer, Intramural Softball, Student Government Ceramics, Chorus, Dance/Theatre, Flag Football, Community Service,
- The mission of Carlbrook School is to provide resources that help bright, underachieving students turn challenges into opportunities - in other words, to assist students and families that were previously struggling academically and socially and allow them to regain focus and go on to pursue mainstream secondary and collegiate academics. The founding Board of Regents of Carlbrook School share firm the conviction that character education is a potent modality that can make indelible positive impressions on students not performing to their potential, particularly when incorporated in an overall curriculum designed to stimulate intellectual, social, and personal development. Based in large part on our collective experience, we are committed to the creation and maintenance of an educational environment that promotes and facilitates problem solving, time management, prioritization, intellectual curiosity, self-discovery and physical fitness.
- Our belief is that a college preparatory school must provide realistic preparation for the social as well as the academic challenges of a college or university. As such, Carlbrook School provides its students with a rich, varied and challenging curriculum designed to stimulate curiosity, inspire exploration of unfamiliar disciplines, and make continual progress toward explicit academic and personal goals. All coursework focuses on helping students learn to think both methodically and conceptually, while introducing them to topics typically reserved for collegiate study. Course selections include three foreign languages, advanced math and science courses, a wide variety of English and literature offerings, and an interdisciplinary physical education and health curriculum. Additional selections include national and world history, classics and humanities, social sciences and philosophy. The school also offers multiple classes in the fine arts as well as several AP and dual-enrollment courses for those students whose abilities and achievement warrant such participation.
- The environment at Carlbrook School affords us a unique opportunity to provide intensive therapeutic support from a variety of angles on a daily basis, and allows us to create a climate conducive to academic and personal achievement. Building healthy relationships both with and among our students is central to the therapeutic approach at Carlbrook. It is this relational model that is at the core of how we facilitate growth and change. Rapport and hard work allow for the trust and self-acceptance that are so critical to the development of young minds, particularly those that are skeptical of the status quo. Emphasis is placed on enhancing student confidence and encouraging the development of self-discipline, motivation, interpersonal skills, prioritization and healthy peer interaction.Family participation also remains a critical component of programming, with increased opportunities for parents to interact with their children throughout the course of their enrollment. Frequent family visits to campus, as well as the addition of several conferences for parents creates an increased atmosphere for familial involvement and growth, believed to significantly impact the overall success of students following graduation from Carlbrook.
- Carlbrook School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Virginia Council for Private Education, and is a member of the Secondary School Admission Test Board the Small Boarding Schools Association, and the Educational Records Bureau.
Profile last updated: 07/06/2014
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ScottsburgGrades: KG-11 | 19 students
1088 Bagwell Dr
Scottsburg, VA 24589
South BostonGrades: KG-12 | 52 students
3200 Halifax Rd
South Boston, VA 24592
ChathamGrades: 9-12 | 140 students
800 Chatham Hall Circle
Chatham, VA 24531
ChathamGrades: K-9 | 124 students
956 Woodlawn Academy Rd
Chatham, VA 24531
ChathamGrades: 7-12 | 233 students
200 Military Dr
Chatham, VA 24531
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.