Grades: 9-12 | 864 students
The Kohler Environmental Center, opened in 2012, is the first teaching, research, and residential environmental center in U.S. secondary education with a focus on the environment. The year-long signature Environmental Immersion Program is open to 14 upperclassmen.
What's your artistic passion? Music? Theater? Visual arts? Choate's got a program for you. Participate in the spring musical, student fringe festival, or the numerous singing and musical groups on campus. In addition, the Arts Concentration Program offers a program for students who are able to demonstrate a commitment to their own artistic development.
Held in November, Deerfield Day ends the fall sports season. Choate's athletic rivalry with Deerfield Academy is the root of this legendary weekend. There's a Friday night pep rally and bonfire and various sport team competitions throughout Saturday.
Created by Rosemary Hall students many years ago, Garden Party is one of the school's cherished traditions. A special dress pre-graduation event, senior girls invite a junior girl and a faculty member to pass along Rosemary traditions to the junior girls. Other traditions? The Last Hurrah, the Spring Musical, Physics Phlotilla, Lessons and Carols, Senior Dance Lessons and Deerfield Day to name a few.
Choate's team name/mascot is The Wild Boars. Choate is a member of the Founders League, Western New England Preparatory School Athletics Association and District IV of the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council. No other high school in the nation can claim three graduates simultaneously on an Olympic team in any sport. Angela Ruggiero '98, Julie Chu '01 and Hilary Knight '07 were all members of the 2010 U.S. Women's Ice Hockey team.
- A rigorous academic curriculum with an emphasis on character formation is at the core of our school's mission.
- Choate Rosemary Hall is a boarding and day secondary school of 864 talented students and 172 dedicated faculty from diverse backgrounds who genuinely enjoy living together and learning from each other.
- Above all, it is our sense of place that distinguishes us.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Institute for Independent Education
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||864 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||131 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||25 courses|
|Average SAT score||2018|
|Average ACT score||29|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 10|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$48,890|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$38,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Ray Diffley, III|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Crew, Cross Country,
Diving, Field Hockey,
Ice Hockey, Lacrosse,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Wrestling,
- Sample of notable school alumni:
- Adlai Stevenson '18 - former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations
- John F. Kennedy '35 - 35th President of the United States
- Edward Albee '46 - Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright
- Robert D. McCallum Jr. '64 - former U.S. Ambassador to Australia
- Glenn Close '65 - Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe Award-winning film and stage actress
- Victoria J. Nuland '79 - current U.S. State Department spokesperson, former U.S. Representative to NATO
- Paul Giamatti '85 - Emmy Award-winning broadway and film actor
- Angela Ruggiero '98 - four-time Women's Olympic Ice Hockey Champion
- Chris Denorfia '98 - center fielder for the San Diego Padres
- Josephine Pucci ’09, Hilary Knight '07 and Julie Chu ’01 - members of the 2012 U.S. Women's National Ice Hockey Team
Profile last updated: 08/27/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
New HavenGrades: 7-12 | 710 students
986 Forest Road
New Haven, CT 06515
LakevilleGrades: 9-12 | 632 students
11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
WatertownGrades: 9-12 | 594 students
110 Woodbury Road
Watertown, CT 06795
DeerfieldGrades: 9-12 | 651 students
7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
HamdenGrades: NS-12 | 580 students
1108 Whitney Ave
Hamden, CT 06517
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.