- Counterpane School is one of very few Montessori environments in the country that extends the Montessori philosophy from the 3 year-old through twelfth grade. Approximately 80 students and 10 teachers share in this project-based, co-worker, co-learner environment.
- Counterpane's Primary classroom has received the AMI Certificate of Recognition.
- In 1995, Counterpane School became a member of the Coalition of Essential Schools, a national school reform organization founded at Brown University.
- Counterpane`s campus is on 14 wooded acres with organic gardens, farm animals, and a profusion of wildflowers. The academic program relies on mixed ages, an interdisciplinary curriculum, and boasts a fully integrated arts program.
- Counterpane celebrates a diverse population and 100% acceptance to college since first graduating class in 1991.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association Montessori International (AMI)
Other school association(s)
Georgia Accrediting Commission
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||80 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Different for different ages)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,500|
|Admissions Director||Karen Minvielle|
- The student body from pre-school through high school is divided into three communities of learners: Primary (3 to 6 years); Lower School (6 to 12 years); and Upper School (12 to 18 years). This format ensures an environment in which each student can develop intellectually and emotionally at his or her own rate. Geography, creative writing, problem solving, Spanish, life science, and community service are integral parts of the curriculum at all levels Montessori Primary through high school. At the Upper School level (12 to 18 years), the curriculum is exclusively college-preparatory, and the environment closely resembles a workplace with individual contracts, group projects, team meetings, class discussions, and student/teacher appointments. Independent study, joint-enrollment with local colleges, and professional internships are incorporated as achievement, commitment, and maturity permit. Long-term research projects and community service involvement are inherent in the program. Students address political and environmental responsibilities as well as develop in-depth analytical and communication skills. Throughout high school, each student is assisted in evaluating and addressing his or her individual strengths and weaknesses in order to achieve college readiness both academically and emotionally. The resulting confidence, self-awareness, and genuine desire for inquiry make college a natural conclusion and confirm life as a continuous learning and growing experience.
- Counterpane students enjoy acceptances from colleges such as Auburn University, Berry College, Boston College, Boston University, Bowdoin College, Brandeis University, Brown University, Caltech, Carnegie Mellon University, Claremont McKenna College, College of Charleston, Colorado State, Columbia University, Cornell University, Digipen, De Paul University, Emory University, Georgia Institute of Technology, Georgia State University, Harvey Mudd College, Haverford College, Johnson & Wales, Macalester, M.I.T., New Mexico School of Mining and Technology, New York University, Penn State Univ0ersity, Savannah College of Art and Design, Sweet Briar College, Tulane University, the University of Georgia, the University of Kentucky, the University of Mississippi, and Virginia Tech.
- To date, all graduates have been accepted to four-year colleges.
- Counterpane evaluates students through written assessments, and students do not receive grades until ninth grade. A.P. courses are available on an individual readiness basis. A student may also opt for an additional year in High School if personal needs or goals dictate.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
FayettevilleGrades: NS-12 | 216 students
355 Mcdonough Rd
Fayetteville, GA 30215
FayettevilleGrades: PK-8 | 46 students
152 Longview Road
Fayetteville, GA 30214
FairburnGrades: PK-12 | 804 students
50 SE Broad Street
Fairburn, GA 30213
FairburnGrades: 1-9 | 127 students
5665 Milam Rd
Fairburn, GA 30213
TyroneGrades: PK-8 | 239 students
211 Kirkley Rd
Tyrone, GA 30290
Counterpane Montessori School fosters an environment that is child-centered and develops the unique abilities and independence of its students. Our oldest daughter attends Primary and our youngest daughter participates in SOUNS. Best decision for our family.
- Posted by Parent - Dom.k
We are pleased with our decision to have our daughter attend Counterpane!
- Posted by Parent - Dom.k
Love the school! I've been A parent of an arrow child for two years now. I was unhappy with the public schools and this has been a great experience for both my children who are very different both academically and socially.
- Posted by Parent - Lchri
My son has attended this school since he was 2.5 years old (he is now 13, in the 8th grade). He has learned how to be independent, how to study, how to manage his time, and how to love learning. The teachers are wonderful, wise, patient and kind. We are blessed to have our son here!
- Posted by Parent - lscow