- "Living, working, learning in the classroom and beyond..." This motto describes the Darrow experience, and the School has been recognized as a pioneer in the field of hands-on learning for more than 70 years.
- We seek students who will appreciate our comprehensive college-preparatory curriculum and the small tight-knit community that defines our school, offering valuable support and a safe environment.
- Darrow provides the right mix of challenging curriculum, structure, encouragement, and strength of community, where students reach their full potential as motivated, thriving, college-bound learners.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild Learning Differences, ADHD|
|Total Students||117 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||36 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||9 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$56,100|
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Betsy Strickler|
|Admissions Associate||Lorrie Wechter|
|Total Sports Offered||13 sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, WeightliftingAlpine Skiing, Basketball,
Cross Country, Cycling,
Lacrosse, Mountain Biking,
Rock Climbing, Snowboarding,
Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Peer Counselors, Student Government, Theater, Yearbook Theater, Yearbook, Peer Counselors,
- Darrow School: Hands-on Education for More Than 80 Years
- Darrow School, an independent, co-ed, boarding and day school in New Lebanon, NY, offers a comprehensive college-preparatory curriculum with a range of courses in writing and literature, history, languages, mathematics, sciences, and the arts.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills are emphasized in all subject areas. Students learn within an atmosphere that supports the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, individual creativity, and the joy of learning.
- The School has been recognized as a pioneer in the field of "hands-on learning," and Darrow teachers use real-world topics and a dynamic approach to capture the imagination and make the subject matter come alive.
- The beautiful mountainside campus is located on the site of the historic Mt. Lebanon Shaker Village, and Darrow continues to embrace the Shaker legacy of sustainability and stewardship.
- An important feature of the academic program is its focus on environmental, social, and economic resources, and students discover the value of finding balance within one's self, the community, and global society. The National Association of Independent Schools recognized the excellence of the School's Sustainability Program in February 2005 with a Leading Edge Honoree Award for curriculum innovation.
- Darrow's small classes, averaging nine students, afford everyone the chance to participate. Because Darrow is a small boarding school, with a 4-to-1 student-teacher ratio, there is an opportunity for strong connections between students and teachers. Teachers get to know students well, and expectations are high. They spur students to do their best in classes, athletics, and co-curricular activities.
- The substantive nature and climate of Darrow School offer students a setting where their abilities can prosper, and the School's distinctive educational philosophy is suited to all learning styles. At Darrow, students reach their full potential as motivated, thriving, college-bound learners with a greater understanding of themselves and the world.
- To learn more about Darrow School, contact Betsy Strickler, Director of Admission, at 518-794-6006 or visit www.darrowschool.org.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
LathamGrades: PK-12 | 255 students
374 Loudon Road
Latham, NY 12211
SheffieldGrades: 9-12 | 394 students
245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257
As a student and orientation leader, I have some incredible memories of my time spent at Darrow School. The small community proved to be the perfect place for me to grow, and gave me the confidence both in and out of the classroom to succeed. I had a lot of trouble learning in public schools for years, but my switch to Darrow proved to be the best change I could hope for. I became an actor, a designer, an artist, and a leader. I tapped maple trees on wednesdays, sheared sheep, and composted. I played tennis, danced, snowboarded at Jiminy Peak, and was the lead in the school musical. The only thing I regret was not spending more time and efforts in the "Living Machine"! I now live in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - Eight years later. Three of my teachers and dorm parents from Darrow live here as well. I guess I (We) couldn't shake the small town feeling even when school was said and done. I feel incredibly fortunate to have been a part of the Darrow community, and the confidence and learning opportunities continue to follow me wherever I go.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - maiax