The 4s enjoy doing a tree study each year. They observe one tree all year round and record what they learn about its attributes and life cycle.
The Young Architects read Snowflake Bentley by Jacqueline Briggs Martin and then got to work creating their own snowflakes with Kapla blocks.
Music with our beloved artist, Anne, can mean singing along to songs on the guitar, musical obstacle courses, movement activities, singing and acting out song books, and playing a variety of instruments.
Our Young Detectives disguised themselves as visitors to Elmwood and discovered clues that helped them solve the week's mystery.
Author celebrations are a favorite event in our Transitional Fives & Kindergarten class. Children meet in small groups for literacy time, learning from a teacher model, guided practice, independent practice, and the share. The focus is always on the excitement of communicating an idea and personal growth.
- Formerly Elmwood Nursery School, we have been providing excellent early childhood education to Lower Westchester since 1957.
- We strive to create an environment that allows each child to feel safe, known, comfortable, and accepted.
- We offer morning and afternoon classes for children ages two through first grade. Enrichment opportunities include Young Authors, Timeless Tales, Math in Motion, Sports, Ooey Gooey Art, Science, Young Architects, and more.
- Our integrated curriculum, based on New York State standards, fosters abstract and concrete thinking skills.
- A balance of spontaneous play, teacher-directed, and child-initiated activities help children develop a strong awareness of themselves and the world around them.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-1|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||25 teachers|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
This school is excellent. They are very creative and caring - they are play based, and yet most kids excel academically. It's because they sneak the learning in... Jane is the Director and caring but also a "nerd" about early childhood education. She is a fantastic resource and you can tell that she thrives on learning more and providing an excellent start to school. This school is excellent but not fancy. They have their own songs and a very sweet culture that includes everyone. We love it at Elmwood.
- Posted by Parent - emily
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.