Grades: 9-12 | 53 students
- Emerson Preparatory School is Washington's oldest coed college preparatory school.
- Founded in 1852 by Charles B. Young, and named after Dr. George Barrell Emerson, the noted New England educator and Harvard professor.
- Emerson Institute as it was then known, originally prepared Washington boys exclusively for entrance to Harvard.
- Following the Civil War, Emerson's program was broadened to prepare young men, and later in1920, young women, for all American and foreign colleges and universities.
- Over 95% of its students typically enroll in institutions of higher education immediately upon graduation.
- Located in Washington D.C., Emerson is only minutes from the Metro Red Line stop at Dupont Circle.
- In the heart of the nation's capital, Emerson affords unique opportunities to explore the vast resources available in the many museums, libraries, and other scholarly institutions.
- Emerson's compact, dignified building houses comfortable classrooms, a well-equipped science lab, and Internet accessible computers.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||53 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 48%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Admissions Director||Jon Shickler|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 899 students
3100 Macomb Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
BladensburgGrades: 9-12 | 570 students
5715 Emerson Street
Bladensburg, MD 20710
WashingtonGrades: 9-12 | 490 students
1524 35th St Nw
Washington, DC 20007
113 Duke Of Gloucester St
Annapolis, MD 21401
District HeightsGrades: 9-12 | 891 students
6800 Marlboro Pike
District Heights, MD 20747
Emerson has enabled my student to express himself freely, excel academically, and grow personally. The quality of the teachers is outstanding. They are true professional and humanitarian who care about the students. The music department at Emerson has been an excellent opportunity for my student to collaborate and lead.
- Posted by Parent - Mary Kay
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.