Grades: 9-12 | 53 students
- Emerson Preparatory School is Washington's oldest coed college preparatory school.
- Founded in 1852 by Charles B. Young, and named after Dr. George Barrell Emerson, the noted New England educator and Harvard professor.
- Emerson Institute as it was then known, originally prepared Washington boys exclusively for entrance to Harvard.
- Following the Civil War, Emerson's program was broadened to prepare young men, and later in1920, young women, for all American and foreign colleges and universities.
- Over 95% of its students typically enroll in institutions of higher education immediately upon graduation.
- Located in Washington D.C., Emerson is only minutes from the Metro Red Line stop at Dupont Circle.
- In the heart of the nation's capital, Emerson affords unique opportunities to explore the vast resources available in the many museums, libraries, and other scholarly institutions.
- Emerson's compact, dignified building houses comfortable classrooms, a well-equipped science lab, and Internet accessible computers.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||53 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 48%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
Finances and Admission
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,000|
|Admissions Director||Jon Shickler|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WashingtonGrades: PK-12 | 899 students
3100 Macomb Street NW
Washington, DC 20008
BladensburgGrades: 9-12 | 570 students
5715 Emerson Street
Bladensburg, MD 20710
WashingtonGrades: 9-12 | 490 students
1524 35th St Nw
Washington, DC 20007
AnnapolisGrades: NS-12 | 698 students
534 Hillsmere Drive
Annapolis, MD 21403
113 Duke Of Gloucester St
Annapolis, MD 21401
Emerson has enabled my student to express himself freely, excel academically, and grow personally. The quality of the teachers is outstanding. They are true professional and humanitarian who care about the students. The music department at Emerson has been an excellent opportunity for my student to collaborate and lead.
- Posted by Parent - Mary Kay
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.