Grades: K-8 | 352 students
- The original charter designated the school as a progressive experimental school for demonstration purposes; however in 1946 the charter was amended to include practice teaching as one of the school's functions.
- Over the years the faculty added to the school's original functions the development of new innovative educational practices, the in-service education of experienced teachers, and educational research.
- Established under a charter agreement between the University and Leon Falk Jr. and Marjorie Falk Levy in 1930, the school has a unique status among American laboratory schools.
- It is the only one that is known to have a legal charter that stipulates its purpose and functions.
- The school was named the Fanny Edel Falk Elementary School in honor of the donor's mother.
- Falk School was born of two wishes: Leon Falk Jr. and Marjorie Falk Levy wished to establish a school that promoted progressive methods of teaching children that could be observed and studied by those who wished to pursue teaching as a vocation; and the University of Pittsburgh wished to establish and maintain an elementary demonstration school that was progressive and experimental and that would become an integral part of its educational mission.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Laboratory Schools|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||352 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PittsburghGrades: PK-5 | 237 students
400 S Braddock
Pittsburgh, PA 15221
PittsburghGrades: NS-8 | 296 students
5705 Darlington Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
PittsburghGrades: NS-8 | 160 students
201 S Winebiddle St
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
PittsburghGrades: K-8 | 84 students
5701 Fifth Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
PittsburghGrades: K-8 | 131 students
809 Center Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15221
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.