|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||53 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||11 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||7 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Neat, clean, appropriate to the occasion)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,500|
|Tuition Notes||Annual Activities Fee of $350 (LS)/600 (MS) in addition to tuition.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Idenna Russell|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Shue|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||17 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Aqua Culture Swim School lessons, Chinese Club, Chorus, Community Service, Dance, Destination Imagination, Disc Golf, Environmental/Gardening Club, Friends Committee, Gorillaz Fitness, Lego Club, Private piano lessons, School Magazine, Student Government Organization, Theatre, Yearbook Club, Young Author's Chinese Club, Chorus, Dance, Disc Golf, Lego Club, Theatre, Yearbook Club, Young Author's, Aqua Culture Swim School lessons,
Private piano lessons,
Student Government Organization,
- Friends School of Harford's curriculum is enriching, appropriately challenging, and intellectually stimulating. In addition, it addresses the particular social and emotional needs of students in order to maximize skill development and learning potential. The program utilizes a variety of teaching/learning methods and provides integrated hands-on learning experiences through which developing skills and knowledge are applied and enhanced.
- The curriculum is comprised of English/language arts and social science (Humanities), science and mathematics (Technology), art, music, physical education, Spanish, and Technology (Explorations). Service-learning, computer, library and media arts, conflict-resolution, and study skills are incorporated into each course to emphasize the universal applications of those technologies, skills and perspectives.
- Maryland State and National standards for content and skills attainment are included in the Friends School of Harford curriculum.
- Through its comprehensive academic program the school helps each student to develop- unique talents and gifts global perspectives a sense of mastery and belonging responsibility and independence critical thinking and collaborative problem-solving life-long learning skills An advisory program serves as the cornerstone of the middle school. Faculty advisors serve as in-school advocates to their advisees, providing support and guidance, and assuring that each child at Friends School of Harford is known.
- Friends School of Harford draws upon the rich tradition of Quaker education as well as existing best practices, which have been identified by proven educational research, to provide middle school students with a safe, sound, intellectually invigorating, and life-changing experience.
- Small class size
- Hands-on learning
- Monthly field trips
- Interdisciplinary projects
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Bel AirGrades: PK-8 | 285 students
715 Moores Mill Rd
Bel Air, MD 21014
DarlingtonGrades: NS-12 | 419 students
1736 Whiteford Road
Darlington, MD 21034
Bel AirGrades: K-11 | 13 students
106 Plumtree Road
Bel Air, MD 21015
Bel AirGrades: K-9 | 101 students
603 Vale Rd
Bel Air, MD 21014
Bel AirGrades: PK-8 | 683 students
205 N Hickory Avenue
Bel Air, MD 21014
There is no school in Harford County or anywhere close that compares to Friends of Harford. My children are far above their peers academically and their individuality is supported in an environment where the idea that each child learns differently is acknowledged and valued. Here they can become successful as students and as human beings, and grow into confident leaders.
- Posted by Parent - laura
An awesome academic and social learning experience for every lucky child who attends. Extraordinary faculty, administration, and board.
- Posted by Parent - rando
This School is like no other in Harford County! Both of my children are thriving. The academics are exceptional and the staff and faculty are caring and attentive. The Quaker philosophy promotes community building as well as individual spiritual development. Choose Friends School of Harford!
- Posted by Parent - ksudb
Harford Friends has been an amazing opportunity for our son. We wanted a school with an integrated, interdisciplinary curriculum involving content areas as well as the arts. Students tackle real-world issues through exploration, inquiry, and problem-solving experiences! They are not handed a textbook and basically directed to teach themselves. Through the curriculum students regularly apply critical thinking, creativity, effective collaboration, research skills, and communication skills. My teenage son enthusiastically shares at dinner about the hands-on investigations. Students are encouraged to get down and dirty with their learning, make decisions, and test their ideas. The classroom environments are risk-free, where mistakes are treated as good methods of learning. Students are taught and expected to display successful team behaviors and personal interaction skills. For the first time ever our son gets up everyday without trouble to go to school and he was sad to see the school year end. Is there any better recommendation than that?
- Posted by Parent - hholl
I am so grateful that we found Harford Friends School for our daughter. She was becoming lost in the public school environment in elementary school and blossomed at HFS. Here she found a supportive environment, personal attention, care and concern for the individual, and an interactive & engaged learning environment with promotion and understanding of personal learning styles and differences. Being a part of HFS is being a part of a school, a community and a family. It allowed our daughter to seek and meet challenges, to become a confident student and young woman, and to become more appreciative of her community, world and others. Her success at HFS allowed her to return to public school in a magnet program where she continues to excel. We are thrilled to now have the lower school available for our younger children so they may also benefit from the best education in Harford County – or anywhere else!
- Posted by Parent - laura
Excellent staff and curriculum. Far better than the blue-ribbon public school my children attended before. Individualized attention and creative experienced-based learning.
- Posted by Parent - J_kaz
My daughter blossomed in the three middle school years at HFS, becoming an accomplished student, an independent thinker and a confident young woman. Now in high school, she maintains deep connections with the HFS community and her classmates. The opportunities for self-awareness, self-expression and growth available in with a Quaker education provide a solid foundation for lifelong learning. Both she and her former classmates are interesting teenagers I enjoy spending time with and are well on their way to becoming fascinating adults.
- Posted by Parent - valer