Grades: 7-12 | 20 students
- The school was founded in 1989.
- We serves students in grades 7 - 12.
- We are certified as a private school by the Maine Department of Education.
- We are also approved to serve students with special needs.
- We employ an experiential, hands-on approach to teach academic, employment, and personal-social competencies in the context of real-world themes, projects, and vocational clusters.
- We serve a wide array of learners, all of whom have in common their preference for learning by doing.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||All Learning and Social/Emotional disabilities|
|Total Students||20 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||7 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||4 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Patrick Young|
- Thank you for your interest in Future Builders School. The school was founded in 1989, serves students in grades 7 - 12, and is certified as a private school by the Maine Department of Education. We are also approved to serve students with special needs.We employ an experiential, hands-on approach to teach academic, employment, and personal-social competencies in the context of real-world themes, projects, and vocational clusters. Such "contexualized learning" makes content relevant and meaningful for students and increases their motivation to learn. We serve a wide array of learners, all of whom have in common their preference for learning by doing. In turn, this knowledge is applied to new situations where recently acquired skills are practiced while new ones are introduced.
- Project- or theme-based education is an approach to learning which focuses on motivating and challenging students to connect learning with personal experiences and interests. When academics are relevant to student`s lives, they learn more effectively, retain more information, and more readily apply learning to a variety of other situations. Teaching in this model uses "hands-on" innovative teaching methods, sometimes referred to as "contextual learning." Teachers help students see the purpose for studying each subject, capitalizing on students natural learning inclinations and problem-solving approaches. These skills are used well beyond the classroom and throughout each student's life.Project-based education allows students to learn in a concrete, participatory way through demonstration, modeling, and practice. They develop abstract concepts from practical, applied contexts that are relevant and intrinsically motivating for them. In turn, students learn how to become life long learners by focusing on understanding and alternative solutions rather than rote memory and "getting the right answers."Future Builders School also supports students though job development and placement, job coaching, and group and individual counseling. A small student-to-staff ratio of 5:1 or less allows us to develop authentic, meaningful relationships with our students and, together, engage in student-centered curriculum.Ultimately, we hope that students can transition to one or more of the following options:
- Return to their sending school
- Graduate with high school diploma
- Earn a GED
- Enter a post-secondary education program
- Enter an apprenticeship program
- Obtain permanent employment.
- Our personnel are well qualified to teach their respective themes and classes and are certified by the Maine Department of Education.
- Clinical Services:
- Teenagers and young adults` lives take many different paths as they face unique challenges in everyday life and in their education. Not only are students challenged with learning academic and vocational skills, but they must also learn a myriad of life skills usually not taught in conventional education settings. Our goal at Future Builders is to help provide a student centered curriculum that addresses the whole person: mental, physical, and emotional. This whole person approach is done in many different ways using the understanding that each individual is different as the foundation of every intervention. The clinical staff at Future Builders offer a variety of counseling approaches including traditional talk therapy as well as experiential group counseling and neuromodulation technologies. With the understanding that teens and young adults face a number of psychosocial stressors in our society, our clinical approach incorporates Mindfulness-based interventions to help students learn skills to manage any of the challenges they may be facing. This approach is designed to help students live more fully in the present moment while focusing attention and awareness on thoughts and feelings that are generated during the situations they face. Mindfulness teaches individuals to breathe correctly while focusing on what`s happening in the here and now. While focusing on breathing and remaining present, our students will be more able to gain awareness into the relationship between their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors that, in turn, allow them to make wiser and more resourceful responses.During experiential group work, students are faced with a challenging group curriculum designed to diminish defensiveness, build confidence, and teach cooperation and teamwork, while promoting a sense of accomplishment. Within a safe and supportive group environment, students will work together to learn the basic skills of self-esteem, communication, emotional regulation, problem solving, empathy, and leadership. They will also focus on building employment skills, receive drug and alcohol education, attend to physical and emotional self-care, build communication and critical thinking skills, and take responsibility for their actions and choices. Finally, this integrated approach will improve overall emotional intelligence and provide an environment where personal growth occurs naturally through our structured therapeutic approaches integrated throughout all of our programming.Overall, the clinical approach utilized at Future Builders School begins by assisting the client to understand the distinction between their brain and their mind and their relationship with each other. Clients will learn various strategies they can use to maximize the performance of both in a coordinated manner that promotes good mental and physical health.A comparison that has proven useful for understanding the brain/mind relationship is that of the personal computer, in which the brain is similar to the computer`s hardware and the mind (thoughts and emotions) is similar to the computer`s operating software. When both the hardware and software are operating efficiently the computer is able to efficiently and effectively perform its various functions. Regular maintenance and upgrades to the hardware and the software help to keep the computer operating at its best. In a similar fashion, the approach used at Future Builders School utilizes a variety of neurotherapy brain stimulation technologies to maximize and maintain peak brain functioning (i.e. the "hardware") while also employing various mindfulness-based counseling approaches to strengthen the mind (i.e., the "software"). The latter is often referred to at the school as Mental Toughness Training.During the initial visit by a perspective student and parents/guardians, these neuromodulation technologies and counseling approaches are explained in detail. Below is a listing of some of them:
- Neurotherapy Technologies
- Mindfulness-Based CounselingNeurofeedback Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT)
- Audio-Visual Entrainment
- Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR)
- Cranial Electrostimulation (CES)
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS)
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
CascoGrades: 6-12 | 20 students
Po Box 249
Casco, ME 04015
WindhamGrades: PK-12 | 99 students
1051 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME 04062
StandishGrades: K-12 | 60 students
Po Box 200
Standish, ME 04084
GrayGrades: NS-K | 30 students
25 Shaker Rd
Gray, ME 04039
Steep FallsGrades: 4-12 | 8 students
Po Box 22
Steep Falls, ME 04085
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.