Grades: PK-8 | 260 students
Students in K5-Grade 8 take computerized, Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) tests to reveal curricular areas in need of more attention.
Our student council--The G-House of Representatives--works with students, staff, and school administration to make the school better.
Students enjoy competing against other schools in four sports during the year: volleyball, soccer, basketball, and track and field.
- Garden Homes Lutheran School (GHLS) is a licensed and accredited Evangelical Christian school that participates in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program. GHLS is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) school system--the 4th largest private/parochial school system in the United States.
- The WELS international headquarters is located in Milwaukee, WI. GHLS's Christ-centered curriculum trains the whole child: mind, body, and soul.
- Our high standards, no excuses approach is meshed with a loving, positive, and supportive school culture that nurtures students to use all their gifts to the glory of God. Our school vision statement is, "Every Student Loves, Learns, Laughs, and Leads.".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod School Accreditation (WELSSA)|
|Religious Affiliation||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||260 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||23 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(uniforms are navy pants/skirts/sweaters; white button down shirts/blouses; black shoes and belts)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$6,700|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||John R. Wesenberg|
|Total Sports Offered||5 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Soccer, Track and Field, VolleyballBasketball, Cheering,
Soccer, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||5 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Book Club, Boys Choir, Hand Bell Choir, Junior Choir, Student Council Book Club, Boys Choir, Junior Choir, Hand Bell Choir,
- Garden Homes Lutheran School (GHLS) sits on the edge of Garden Homes Historic District, our nation's first municipally sponsored, community owned housing project, now a part of the City of Milwaukee. The school came into existence in 1954. Our new school building, opened in the fall of 2004, enabled us to expand our enrollment as part of the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program. Our old school, across Roosevelt Drive from our current campus, is the home of the Light House Youth Center, a Lutheran-Christian ministry for youth from 5thgrade through high school.
- Our student body is usually around 250 children (K3-8) and is nurtured by a loving and qualified staff of 13 teachers and 3 administrators, all holding undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in education. Several Educational Assistants (EA) are also employed to assist teachers and students. Classroom size currently averages between 20 and 25 students.
- GHLS is a Christian school in the Lutheran tradition. We are owned and operated by Garden Homes Lutheran Church (GHLC). Both GHLS and GHLC are members of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), headquartered in Milwaukee, but with churches and schools all over the United States and in several other countries. The WELS school system is the 4th largest private/parochial school system in America. GHLS is accredited by Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod School Accreditation (WELSSA) and the National Council on Private School Education (NCPSE). We have been a Milwaukee Parental Choice school since 2000, and are listed in the Great Schools Directory for the State of Wisconsin. GHLS seeks to educate the whole child: mind, body, and soul, within a loving, positive, and supportive school culture of high expectations and no excuses. Our curriculum is tied to the Wisconsin State Standards and provides a complete complement of courses for students that excel as well as those who struggle. Special education and Title 1 services provide additional support for students who need a little extra. All of the secular subjects traditionally taught at this educational level are taught at GHLS (Math, Reading, Phonics, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, History, etc.) These subjects, and all of GHLS`s curriculum, is tied to state standards and "Christ-centered", meaning that they are presented with the absolute truth of God`s Word as their ultimate guide. In every subject and every lesson, opportunities are seized for presenting how God`s wisdom, power, and love in Christ, are evident. Every day in every class, students are encouraged to see God more clearly, love him more dearly, and follow him more nearly.In addition to teaching the traditional, secular subjects, GHLS also teaches religion classes that are a more concentrated and in-depth look at the Bible.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
MilwaukeeGrades: K-8 | 323 students
4224 W Ruby Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53209
MilwaukeeGrades: PK-12 | 412 students
5375 N Green Bay Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53209
MilwaukeeGrades: K-8 | 469 students
3027 N Fratney St
Milwaukee, WI 53212
GreendaleGrades: PK-8 | 449 students
6000 W Loomis Rd
Greendale, WI 53129
MilwaukeeGrades: PK-8 | 220 students
8242 N Granville Rd
Milwaukee, WI 53224
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.