Grades: PK-12 | 522 students
- The German School Washington is an independent pre-kindergarten through 12th grade school of more than 500 students.
- We deliver a rigorous bicultural curriculum leading to the German International Abitur (DIA) and the U.S. High School Diploma.
- Our graduates leave our school with a solid preparation for university work and beyond and attend prestigious international, American and German higher education institutions. Dedicated to the development of globally-minded students, fostering independence, creativity and critical thinking, the German School places strong emphasis on foreign languages and natural sciences.
- Knowledge of German is not required for admission to our pre-kindergarten and kindergarten programs.
- By 6th grade, students are fluent in German and English, and on their way to mastering a third language.
- Our science program starts in 4th grade and our teachers are committed to inspiring all students to apply scientific methods. With a student body representing over 20 nationalities and 70 teachers from all over the world, we believe that the best education occurs in a school made up of students, families, teachers and staff drawn from many different perspectives and experiences, both nationally and internationally. Located just 15 minutes outside of Washington, our 17-acre campus boast a modern LEED-certified science building, a heated indoor pool, a full-service cafeteria and three libraries including North-America`s largest German youth literature collection.
- The German School is one of over 140 recognized German Schools Abroad worldwide, and fully accredited by the Maryland State Department of Education.
- For further information about the German School, please visit www.dswashington.org.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||522 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||75 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||9 courses|
|Advanced Courses||1 Biology, 1 English, 1 French, 1 German, 1 Physics, 2 Mathematics,|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$11,530|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition rates depend on the child's age and grade. Financial aid is available.|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Susanne Rosenbaum|
|Total Sports Offered||8 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Indoor Soccer,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Big Band, Choir, Gymnastics, Karate, Model Train, Model UN, Science, Swim Team, Yearbook Big Band, Choir, Gymnastics, Karate, Model Train, Model UN, Science, Swim Team, Yearbook,|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BethesdaGrades: NS-12 | 1010 students
9600 Forest Road
Bethesda, MD 20814
BethesdaGrades: PK-8 | 480 students
8821 River Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
OlneyGrades: K-12 | 258 students
16227 Batchellors Forest Road
Olney, MD 20832
2001 Wisconsin Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20007
Mc LeanGrades: K-12 | 1039 students
1301 Potomac School Rd
Mc Lean, VA 22101
Both our children are at the preschool (2 and 4 years old). We are very happy at the school and would like our children to continue at the school through high school. The teachers are extremely well qualified and caring. We also like the emphasis on science, foreign language acquisition and an overall international education.
- Posted by Parent - alope
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.