- At the heart of Gottesman Academy is our dedication to the individual child.
- Our devoted staff strives to get to know the children.
- This integral relationship does not only apply to a child's classroom teacher, it extends to all the teachers and assistants in the school, the administration, specialists, office staff, and school nurse.
- The spirit of the school necessitates that no one becomes anonymous or falls through the cracks.
- The Gottesman Academy maintains high standards of academic excellence and nurtures students in an environment infused with the richness of Jewish life.
- The Academy inspires intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and personal integrity to enable our students to emerge as lifelong learners, compassionate individuals, and successful members of society who are rooted in their heritage.
- As a community day school, The Academy welcomes families from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds, reflecting the diversity of the American Jewish community today.
- GRTWA is an NJAIS accredited school.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other religious school association(s)
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
New Jersey Association of Independent Schools
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2006|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||34 teachers|
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 15 / Mar. 15|
|Tuition Notes||Qualified families will not pay more than 15% of their Gross Income. We have affordability programs to fit all families needs.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Elizabeth Baumel|
- At the heart of Gottesman RTW Academy is our dedication to the individual child. Our devoted staff strives to get to know the children. This integral relationship does not only apply to a child's classroom teacher, it extends to all the teachers and assistants in the school, the administration, specialists, office staff, and school nurse. The spirit of the GRTWA necessitates that no one becomes anonymous or falls through the cracks. Gottesman RTW Academy maintains high standards of academic excellence and nurtures students in an environment infused with the richness of Jewish life. This results in our students getting into the high schools and colleges of their choices. The Academy inspires intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and personal integrity to enable our students to emerge as lifelong learners, compassionate individuals, and successful members of society who are rooted in their heritage. As a community day school, GRTWA welcomes families from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds, reflecting the diversity of the American Jewish community today.
Profile last updated: 08/07/2015
People that viewed Gottesman RTW Academy also viewed these schools: Golda Och Academy (formerly Solomon Schechter Day School Of Essex & Union).
- School Location Miles Grades Students
West OrangeGrades: PK-12 | 548 students
1418 Pleasant Valley Way
West Orange, NJ 07052
Gottesman is an incredible place - it is the best of everything. It has provided my children with an excellent education and has taught them how to be good people. The atmosphere is warm & welcoming, the teachers, staff and faculty are hands-on and nurturing. They really know your child.
- Posted by Parent - mhalper
We have had our two children (ages 9 and 13) at GRTWA since they were two years old. It is a warm and welcoming environment with a top-notch and highly responsive staff. Our children have positively bloomed there under their guidance. Teacher excellence is a top priority and it shows. Highly recommended.
- Posted by Parent - Joy
Academically, our kids (6 & 7 grades) are ahead of their public school friends (specifically in maths) as part of a challenging curriculum including second language (Hebrew). They are infused with the values of Judaism - debate, question, listen, research, explore and respect your fellow man. They are comfortable presenting ideas in public. The school is warm, it is a community and it is infusing the children with love for their country and for Israel.
- Posted by Parent - parent-thankful-for-the-school
This school is a gem. Academically, my kids are challenged, engaged and learning at a level that is a great foundation for their future. The school is very much like a family, and I am not the type of person who says that without an excellent basis. In each of my 3 kids' classes, each child and parent that I have seen are great role models and quality people. Even if you are on the fence about this school or about affordability or really anything at all, I would encourage you to visit the school and see what it's like and you will no doubt leaving the building being impressed with the staff, children and your overall experience. And you should know, the experience you had is just the tip of the iceberg...
- Posted by Parent - DavidNJCPA
My wife and I are products of NJ public schools. When we decided to enroll our oldest child at GOTTESMAN for kindergarten we never anticipated that he`d stay more than a year. He stayed, two kids followed and all 3 graduated and are now at Northeastern U, Elon U and Morristown H.S, respectively. You might be thinking that with great (and free) public schools available why would it make sense to pay private school tuition? If I told you the answer was clear, I`d be lying. Concerned about saving for college, we once seriously considered taking our kids out of GOTTESMAN and putting them into public school. We chose to keep them at GOTTESMAN. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I want readers to also understand the value proposition of a Jewish day school education but not just any ordinary Jewish day school. While the orthodox and conservative movements define Jewish status through matrilineal descent, GOTTESMAN`s admissions policy accepts students who are considered Jewish according to the standards of any of the four major denominations. The children of families, where only the father is Jewish, are welcomed. The secular non-Judaic learning is outstanding. The school won the national Blue Ribbon Award for Academic Excellence from the U.S. Dept. of Ed. The school is also accredited by the NJAIS from which the most elite private schools in the state also seek accredidation. The general studies curriculum comprises about 60% of the school day and the balance of forty percent is dedicated to Jewish studies and Hebrew language. Numerous studies have shown that intensive second language instruction in the early childhood and primary grades leads to the development of enhanced analytical skills used in other areas of study, in high school, college and beyond. The curriculum at GOTTESMAN is also integrated so secular topics are animated through Jewish themes. Once, a 6th-grade solar system project coincided with the occasion when the sun completes a 28 year cycle returning, according to Jewish tradition, to the place it appeared when the world was created. What might have been a fairly mundane science lesson became a richly memorable experience when the students gathered beneath the sun light to recite a special Jewish blessing. The tie-in to Jewish teachings for other secular subjects (e.g., the civil rights movement) both frames and elevates them in a way that is impossible in a public school context. GREAT SCHOOL AND COMMUNAL GEM!
- Posted by Parent - Jonathan
GRTWA is warm, nurturing, and inclusive. I am incredibly happy that my child is receiving a stellar education in an environment that feels like family.
- Posted by Parent - nicol
As a public school teacher, choosing to send my daughter to a private school was a difficult one, but I have no regrets. There is so much to love about GRTW: the beautiful new "green" building which is so bright and airy, the strong sense of school community, the incredible child-centered (not standardized test-centered) education of general and Judaic studies, and of course, the amazing staff. One visit to this school and you will be amazed. GRTW is a special place and I'm so glad my family is a part of it.
- Posted by Parent - jrzta
This school is a wonderful combination of strong academics, Jewish culture, and a nurturing environment. Since the school is 50 years old, you see generations of families attending and then returning with their children and grandchildren. There is a lot of love that goes into teaching and helping to develop the children into fine young Jewish citizen.
- Posted by Parent - ebaum
Gottesman RTW Academy has an environment of caring, learning and good deeds. The staff became my children's family away from home and trusted role models in their lives. Just set into the new state of the art building and you will feel welcomed and comfortable!
- Posted by Parent - Jzair
There is something very special about this school. Any school can enable students to get into good colleges, but this school helps to develop the character and morals of each child. Teaching morals and ethics is part of the curriculum, but the school takes it a step beyond and it is engrained into every part of the day. My son is thriving both academically, socially, and culturally. We are not especially religious but extremely cultural. This school fills our need for our son to be raised with Jewish history and morals, but it doesn't take away from the extremely high general studies that he will need for high school and college.
- Posted by Parent - ebaum
I absolutely love this school. You feel joy the moment you walk in and see the children's smiling faces. Academically the school prepares kids to get into any private or public high school, typically in honors classes. The new state of the art green building is amazing! The school is a self esteem factory with children performing in plays and singing from such a young age. My son is going to be preparing for his bar mitzvah thought the school since we did not want to join a congregation.....what better then for us to be part of a community and he get all of his Jewish education during the normal school day.
- Posted by Parent - ebaum