|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||880 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 18%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||90 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||21 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||American History, Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, European History, French Language, Latin: Vergil, Physics C, Physics E&M, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics,|
|Average SAT score||1855|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Tuition Notes||$5500 to $19690|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Randy Doss|
|Admissions Associate||Vivian O'Brien|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Golf,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||26 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Art, Band, Checkers/Chess, Chorus, Cum Laude Society, Diversity Club, Drama, Gardening, Golf, Guitar, Habitat for Humanity, High IQ Team, Honor Board, Mandarin Chinese, Moot Court, National Honor Society, Operation Smile, Piano, Pottery, StageCraft, Strings, Student Council, Student Philanthropy Council, Tennis, Yearbook, Yoga Art, Band, Checkers/Chess, Chorus, Diversity Club, Drama, Gardening, Golf, Guitar, High IQ Team, Honor Board, Moot Court, Piano, Pottery, StageCraft, Strings, Tennis, Yearbook, Yoga, Cum Laude Society,
Habitat for Humanity,
National Honor Society,
Student Philanthropy Council,
- Greensboro Day School opened its doors in 1970, the result ofthe dreams and hard work of dozens of parents who challengedthemselves to build the best education possible for their childrenand for generations of children to come. Few of those parentsexpected a school of 95 students to grow so quickly into the leaderin independent education that it is today. That challenge... tobuild a socially and economically diverse community that honors andnurtures relationships among students, faculty and community withina dynamic educational environment... is one we have gladly acceptedand exceeded.
- Our academic programs are designed to engage, challenge, andinspire students.
- In our Lower School, we know that every child is unique, and everychild learns differently. Our differentiated-instruction approachenables us to teach children the way they learn best and move themalong at their own pace. It`s a personalized approachrequiring our teachers to understand how each student processesideas, and to modify their teaching techniques to address eachstudent`s needs.We`re educating students for a worldthat will be constantly changing. To stay at the forefront of thatchange, we are continually adapting and updating our programs. Thisis about more than just technology-we incorporate the latestresearch on child development in our teaching to be surewe`re employing the best instructional practices.
- The Middle School at GDS is ideal preparation for the challengesand fast pace of the Upper School. Our program incorporates thelatest research on adolescent brain development. This enables us tointroduce challenging material and concepts with the right blend ofindependent and collaborative learning. Freedoms expand, teachingstudents the responsibility that goes with them. But students alsoreceive the continuous support that makes them confident in theirabilities.Greensboro Day Schoolstudents are at home learninganytime, anywhere. By Middle School they are accustomed toconstantly evolving technology, and they utilize the latestprograms for homework and projects as part of their preparation forglobal citizenship.
- Along with classes that include History in Film, Marine Science,and Cabaret, we extend our Upper School classroom boundariesthrough technology: teachers moderate online discussions, postvideos of class lectures, develop class web pages, and tweetproject suggestions. The wide variety of classes and approachesmean our students pursue their interests and take those interestsas far as they want. But whatever they take- regular classes,advanced classes-it`s always challenging andin-depth.With trips from Australia to New York City to India, ourstudents take learning beyond the classroom. Seniors spend fourweeks off campus testing a possible career. Juniors push theirlimits for five days backpacking through Pisgah National Forest.Sophomore Service Week jumpstarts students` drive to reallymake a difference. And freshmen choose from nearly 20 differentactivities for WoW (Without Walls) Week.
Profile last updated: 05/11/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
GreensboroGrades: NS-12 | 836 students
2900 Horse Pen Creek Rd
Greensboro, NC 27410
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 297 students
1128 New Garden Road
Greensboro, NC 27410
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 663 students
3919 Pleasant Garden Rd
Greensboro, NC 27406
GreensboroGrades: PK-8 | 377 students
5400 Old Lake Jeanette Road
Greensboro, NC 27455
GreensboroGrades: PK-12 | 180 students
4530 W Wendover Ave
Greensboro, NC 27409
This is my daughter's third year at GDS. I am very pleased with the quality of administrators and teachers as well as the level of education. My daughter is appropriately challenged and excited to go to school everyday. She is very proud to tell others when asked where she attends school.
- Posted by Parent - cschu
It is difficult to put into words how much we appreciate Greensboro Day School and it's community of faculty, staff, and friends. We have 3 children, each with her and his unique learning styles, interests, and challenges. The teachers have responded to our children in the most impressive ways. They genuinely care about them while helping them to grow intellectually and ethically. An education at GDS is the most valuable investment we as parents will ever make!
- Posted by Parent - ballo
The level of care and concern for each student's academic as well as emotional needs creates a true family environment at GDS. My daughter's education is tailored to her academic level and needs and she loves going to school each day. The variety of afterschool clubs and learning opportunity is amazing.
- Posted by Parent - mljnc
We moved to the area almost 4 years ago. It was challenging as we moved 3 kids mid-year. However, I realized quickly how much time I wasted worrying as all three children settled in quickly and were warmly welcomed by students and teachers alike. With three children, each has very different personalities, strengths and challenges. Each of them has been met in a unique and wonderful manner. Academics is very important to us. Social and emotional development are, as well. GDS challenges all these areas in a multitude of areas ensuring our kids our challenged and enriched. I love that they have music and art every single week and PE 3x a week in lower school! Kids need to be active and to experience the arts - research PROVES the need for this. The drama program and the athletic programs make for a well-rounded experience.
- Posted by Parent - wsaun
We are Australian long term expats. We choose Greensboro Day School for our son when we moved to the US two years ago. Having been involved with many schools in 5 different countries, it was immediately obvious that we had found the right school for him. The staff were welcoming and it was refreshing to be greeted by the students as we toured the school. The low class sizes and the obvious dedication and enthusiasm of the teachers are very important to us. The school caters for his individual needs and he was immediately accepted into the middle school community. He is always talking about the interesting and challenging things that he is doing in class. We love that the subjects are very much related to current issues and aimed at promoting individual thought.
- Posted by Parent - mulli
My daughter has been going there for 2 years (pre-K and Kindergarten). I am constantly amazed at the level of activities she engages in, e.g. Art, Spanish, Science, and Computer. The teachers have been fabulous at working with the particular skills of each child and providing more challenges where warranted. She loves going to school every day, and the faculty and staff are all so welcoming. I also use the Bengal Cub Care - after school and she participates in after school extracurricular activities located on the campus, which is incredibly convenient.
- Posted by Parent - cschu
Love GDS! My daughter and are so pleased with the teachers & all the staff. It is so exciting to hear her experiences each day!
- Posted by Parent - renea
I am a parent of a 2nd grader at GDS and we love it here!!! From the moment I first walked on campus, it was the most welcoming and warm place. You can tell that teachers love teaching here and kids love learning here. It really is a special place! If you are looking at schools you should definitely come visit.
- Posted by Parent - purpl