- Founded in the summer of 1999, the GW Community School embraces as its mission the development and implementation of a holistic educational program which will develop and optimize the giftedness and intelligence of each student in an in-depth, enriched, and technically advanced college preparatory environment that emphasizes authentic application of knowledge, not merely assimilation of information.
- Students will experience academic success and the development of social awareness and responsibility in an atmosphere where all are treated with respect and courtesy. The GW Community School recognizes the unique contribution of parents, students and community members striving for unity of purpose.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools (SACS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||56 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Number of AP Courses||3 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Calculus BC, AP US Government, AP US History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$25,856|
|Tuition Notes||Discount payment plans and scholarships available.|
|Admissions Associate||Cassie Sinichko|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||12 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Chess, Co-ed Flag Football, Co-ed Softball, Coyote Robotics, History thru Movies, Music Club, Personal Fitness, Soccer, Student Government Association, Theatre / Improv, Weightlifting, Yearbook Chess, Co-ed Softball, Music Club, Soccer, Weightlifting, Yearbook, Co-ed Flag Football,
History thru Movies,
Student Government Association,
Theatre / Improv,
- Admissions Process: GW Community School has rolling admissions. We keep our class sizes small and want to keep our total enrollment at approximately 55 students therefore we do fill up and have to turn students away.
- GW Community School does not host an Open House for prospective families; instead we schedule personal interviews with our Director. If you are interested in learning more about GWCS we recommend the following:
- 1. Familiarize yourself with GWCS through our website: www.gwcommunityschool.com. If this sparks your interest or stirs up additional questions...
- 2. Call GWCS and ask to schedule a prospective interview: (703) 978-7208. Prospective interviews include student and parent(s) and last approximately one hour. You will meet with the Director, Alexa Warden. She will talk with you about GWCS, answer any of your questions, ask you questions and show you around the school including visiting classes that are insession at the time, interacting with students and teachers.
- 3. Submit an application complete with writing sample, photo and application fee.
- 4. Once application material has been received you will be notified of our decision by mail within two to three weeks.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AlexandriaGrades: 7-12 | 64 students
4913 Franconia Road
Alexandria, VA 22310
OaktonGrades: PK-12 | 998 students
3320 Jermantown Road
Oakton, VA 22124
Falls ChurchGrades: 7-12 | 144 students
2849 Meadow View Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
This is an amazing school that has incredibly supportive teachers and staff. They offer advanced as well as remedial classes. It is a small school which has good and bad. The good individual attention and the ability to construct classes to meet specific student needs. The bad, there are not a lot of children and if there is a conflict between two students it there is little opportunity to move out of class. Overall, it is an amazing school that works very hard to change the class to meet the needs of the individual child rather than having your child try to meet the needs of the class.
- Posted by Parent - kang1