Grades: K-12 | 55 students
The Henrietta G. Lewis Campus School, located on the grounds of the Wyndham Lawn Home for Children, serves students who are experiencing educational, emotional and behavioral challenges.
The program uses strength-based, nontraditional teaching strategies such as differentiated learning with small class sizes and even one-on-one instruction for some students.
The Lewis School is a private, state-approved school whose goal is to return students to their home districts as soon as possible.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||55 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||6 students|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- The Henrietta G. Lewis Campus School, located on the grounds of the Wyndham Lawn Home for Children, serves students who are experiencing educational, emotional and behavioral challenges. The program uses strength-based, nontraditional teaching strategies such as differentiated learning with small class sizes and even one-on-one instruction for some students. The Lewis School is a private, state-approved school whose goal is to return students to their home districts as soon as possible.
- The Lewis School building was constructed in 2000. It provides state-of-the-art facilities and programs to help students meet the increasing demands of New York State educational standards.
- The curriculum for all grades meets the New York State standards.
- Ã¢Å“SpecialsÃ¢" include art, physical education and technology for all students, and foreign language for middle and high school students.
- Regents diplomas are an expectation of high school students; however, when this expectation is inappropriate, an alternate education program is developed.
- Every student is evaluated to determine his or her individual needs through achievement testing and observation by educators, social workers and other professional staff. A plan is developed to assist each student in achieving academic success. For those students who have been referred to the Campus School with Individual Education Plans (I.E.P.Ã¢'s), our staff will assist the home school district with development of educational plans through achievement testing, social/emotional and educational goals, Functional Behavioral Assessments and Behavioral Intervention Plans.
- Teachers are state certified in core subject areas and/or special education.
- Students are supported by state-certified counselors and social workers. A clinical psychologist and a registered nurse are on staff in the school. Students are instructed in character development and attend daily group sessions to discuss their behaviors and academics.
- Families are expected to maintain contact with teachers and counselors about their childÃ¢'s educational and social progress. Staff keep in contact with families and keep them apprised of student performance
- A student who shows the ability to be safe, responsible, respectful and goal oriented will be encouraged to join the Wildcat Club. Those students are considered high status and are expected to demonstrate leadership, be a positive role model for peers, show an honest effort to pass all subjects and participate in Wildcat meetings. They are allowed to use the Wildcat Lounge during select times and are automatically eligible for holiday parties, special activities and field trips.
- The Lewis School serves day students as well as students from Wyndham Lawn Home for Children: http://www.ndyfs.org/programs/residentialWL.html http://www.ndyfs.org/programs/campusschool021408.html
Profile last updated: 09/02/2014
- School Location Miles Grades Students
AmherstGrades: PK-12 | 47 students
2625 Tonawanda Creek Rd
Amherst, NY 14228
North TonawandaGrades: PK-12 | 135 students
789 Gilmore Ave
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
BuffaloGrades: K-12 | 362 students
39 Academy St
Buffalo, NY 14221
BuffaloGrades: PK-12 | 254 students
4625 Harlem Rd
Buffalo, NY 14226