Grades: K-8 | 146 students
The New Highland School facility includes well equipped attractive classrooms, library, science laboratory, art studio and full gymnasium.
The heart and soul of the school, though, is more than the bricks and mortar.
Differences between schools are rooted in the philosophy of education and the relationship between those who teach and those who come to learn.
The Highland tradition of private education is dynamic, sensitive to the needs of the individual student, and realistic enough to prepare for the educational career challenges that lie ahead.
At Highland individual growth requires both intellectual and physical development.
Supervised athletics and play programs are an integral part of the curriculum.
There is a full indoor gymnasium and a lovely park and ball field directly accross the street, all of which are used under faculty supervision for physical education classes and recreation periods.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Mild learning differences|
|Total Students||146 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||12 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, SoccerBasketball, Cheering,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||6 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Blue & gold School Newspaper, Chess Club (seasonal), Chorus, Intramual soccer, Intramural Basketball, School Play Chorus, School Play, Blue & gold School Newspaper,
Chess Club (seasonal),
- The heart and soul of our school is more than the bricks and mortar. Differences between schools are rooted in the philosophy of education and the relationship between those who teach and those who come to learn.There is a choice between the public school system, with a few good schools but many political and budgetary problems, and a carefully chosen private school that has proven its ability to excite, motivate and challenge students to achieve their fullest potential. The Highland tradition of private education is dynamic, sensitive to the needs of the individual student, and realistic enough to prepare for the educational career challenges that lie ahead.
- The Highland Elementary School curriculum stresses the development of fundamental knowledge and skills in Reading, Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science. Students gain sound study skills, good work habits and an appreciation of learning.The Highland Elementary School established in 1949 is chartered by the New York State Department of Education and licensed by the New York City Board of Health. A Highland education presents abundant opportunities for enrichment. A strong program in art, music, and computer education complements the basic curriculum. Additionally, students work both individually and in groups in subjects such as American Government, Current events, Children’s literature, and Creative writing. Highland Elementary School’s Computer Laboratory encourages students to learn about and use this stimulating tool. The computer program challenges the intellect of advanced students while providing the remedial assistance to those whose skills need improvement.
- Highland creates a supportive environment in which its students thrive. Classes are purposefully kept small with an average of 15 students. Highland’s outstanding instructors quickly learn each pupil’s strengths and weaknesses; where they excel and where they need help.The intimate size also enables the Director and faculty to work together in each student’s interest – sharing ideas, solving common problems and developing individual learning strategies.
- The Middle School, grades five through eight, continues the emphasis on strengthening the basics and adds laboratory science and a foreign language. The Middle School is departmentalized since subject expertise becomes a priority as the student body matures. At Highland, individual growth requires both intellectual and physical development. Supervised athletics and play programs are an integral part of the curriculum. There is a full indoor gymnasium and a lovely park and ball field directly across the street all of which are used under faculty supervision for physical education classes and recreation periods.A wide range of extracurricular play and athletic activities are available at all grade levels. Through these, students learn to enjoy the interaction of team work and develop the sense of Highland pride that comes with achievement.
- To accommodate our parents, students can come to school as early as 7 am for supervised play before classes begin at 8:20 a.m.A special program is offered for children who need to remain at school until 6pm. Students enjoy a combination of recreational games, sports, and crafts instruction, supervised study and homework guidance.For those parents who must work during student vacations, Highland offers a special weekday activities program during holiday periods. There is a separate fee.
Profile last updated: 10/29/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Forest HillsGrades: PK-12 | 245 students
11917 Union Tpke
Forest Hills, NY 11375
Forest HillsGrades: PK-6 | 140 students
6704 Austin St
Forest Hills, NY 11375
JamaicaGrades: K-8 | 397 students
8022 Parsons Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11432
WhitestoneGrades: NS | 100 students
16-50 UTOPIA PARKWAY
Whitestone, NY 11357
CoronaGrades: KG-8 | 69 students
10302 Northern Blvd
Corona, NY 11368
|5.0 Stars 05/17/16|
My child's previous religious school closed without any advanced notice and we were forced to search for an immediate placement. After looking at several other schools, we chose Highland and we couldn't be more pleased. The staff is welcoming, as are the children. My child was immediately accepted and felt part of the experience. The school offers many academic opportunities and also many great activities. It is a well rounded program, one where my child is happy to learn and grow. Though the school is non sectarian, and doesn't offer any religious education, I feel my daughter is gaining knowledge in so many other areas. I can always supplement the academics with outside religious activities. Highland was a great choice for me. I only wish we found the school earlier in my daughter's educational journey.
- Posted by Parent - hnkrm
|5.0 Stars 07/24/15|
After being in many other school settings, I can say that Highland is a great fit for our family. Our kids are happy and making friends, they are learning and growing academically, while also enjoying gym, music, art, etc. The teachers and administrators are very experienced and professional. And it is much less expensive than other private schools our kids have attended. I would very highly recommend Highland.
- Posted by Parent - hlewe
October 20, 2016
Among the many forms which you must complete when applying to private school is something called The Candidate Statement. Here's what it is involved in preparing this document.
October 19, 2016
Making your job application easy to read will help your application make the first cut.
October 18, 2016
Submit your employment application the way a Swiss watch craftsman builds a watch. With precision and accuracy.