Grades: PK-K | 170 students
- Jenkintown Day Nursery was founded in 1903 by Mrs. Theodore B. Culver who saw the need for day care for children who were left unattended while their mother was at work.
- She believed there should be shelter and care for the young children of poor, working women regardless of race, creed or color, whose employment calls them from their home. Fees were set on a sliding scale based on income and still are today! As the number of children in care increased, JDN moved to new locations settling into our current building in 1965 and adding our new Playhouse in 2003.
- Jenkintown Day Nursery has a richly diverse population and is the oldest private day care center in Montgomery County.
- JDN has a dedicated voluntary board of directors who raise the funds that keep the program affordable to all families. Our goal is to promote your childs independence, self-esteem, positive attitudes and readiness skills through exposing your child to a wide variety of activities that enhance his/her social, emotional, physical and cognitive growth.
- Our curriculum is designed to allow children to learn at their own pace and allows us to meet their individual needs.
- We follow the Pennsylvania Early Learning Standards throughout our curriculum and participate in the Keystones STARS Program.
- We have achieved STAR 4 status (the highest) which shows our commitment to continuous quality improvement.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||170 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
- Jenkintown Day Nursery is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Jenkintown Day Nursery provides quality early education child care for children ages 2 to kindergarten. Jenkintown Day Nursery provides a truly enriching environment, allowing parents to work to support their families with the utmost confidence in their childs care. Jenkintown Day Nursery provides an outstanding start to a child's education in small and nurturing classes. Students develop a love for learning. Jenkintown Day Nursery's teachers promote independence, self-esteem, positive attitudes and readiness skills in their students, preparing them for success. Because we care about both the needs of the child and the family, we welcome parents participation and invite them to participate in a variety of programs. Over the years, parents who remember their own experiences at JDN have come back to entrust their children to be nurtured by our capable, loving teachers.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
HorshamGrades: K-9 | 66 students
250 Meetinghouse Road
Horsham, PA 19044
PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-2 | 14 students
610 E Mount Pleasant Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19119
PhiladelphiaGrades: PK-12 | 947 students
3000 W School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
PhiladelphiaGrades: K-12 | 104 students
1196 East Washington Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19138
PhiladelphiaGrades: NS-K | 40 students
6110 Wissahickon Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.