Grades: K-6 | 118 students
The Learning Project is a small, urban elementary school that provides high academic and behavioral standards in an inclusive school community dedicated to principles of kindness, respect, responsibility, hard work and achievement.
The school uses a combination of a traditional 'direct teaching' model, the 'workshop' model, and project-based learning.
Activities are designed to challenge students to engage in projects that will extend their creativity and their 'higher level thinking' skills. The Learning Project is a school that believes children learn at different rates and in different ways and we seek through a low student:teacher ratio and an extensive program of additional support and tutoring to provide accommodations for a wide variety of learners.
We are also school where each child is challenged to work hard, to become actively engaged in learning, to help one another, to make choices, to take risks, to develop personal responsibility, to learn from mistakes and to achieve.
Character education shares equal emphasis with a strong foundation in core academic skills and both are seen as vital tools for scholastic and personal excellence.
Small by design, the school provides close personal attention and support to each child and many cross-grade programs encourage friendships with all ages and contribute to a familial environment.
Typically half of the graduates attend the Boston Exam Schools in seventh grade and the other half enroll in area independent schools.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
Association of Independent Schools in New England (AISNE)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-6|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Total Students||118 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 25%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||19 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(neat, clean, simple and fitted)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition ranges from $18,900 in kindergarten to $19,500 in sixth grade.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Associate||Laura Mellen|
- The Learning Project is located in the Back Bay of Boston, a block from the Clarendon Street Playground, "the school's playyard;" five blocks from the Boston Public Library Main Branch--"the school's library;" and five blocks from the Copley Square T station.
- The school provided approximately $340,000 in tuition assistance in 2009/2010 and is committed to keeping its tuition relatively low. Both are reflections of a strong commitment to socio-economic diversity.
- Separate Head Teachers work with each class several times a week in Physical Education, Spanish, Science, Music and Art.
- Guided by a commitment to both direct instruction and project centered learning, the school's faculty challenges every child to do his or her personal best.
- A formal core values/character education program has always been a centerpiece of the school.
- Over 90% of our students qualified to attend the Boston Exam Schools have been accepted to them. Students have also gone on to a variety of independent schools including: Beaver Country Day School, Belmont Hill School,Boston College High Middle School, Brimmer and May, BB&N, Catholic Memorial, Hillside, Mt. Alvernia, Newton Country Day School, Noble and Greenough, Park, Rivers, Roxbury Latin, Trinity Academy and Winsor.
Profile last updated: 07/20/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BostonGrades: NS-6 | 309 students
30 Fairfield Street and 26 Exeter Street
Boston, MA 02116
CambridgeGrades: PK-8 | 205 students
5 Cadbury Road
Cambridge, MA 02140
MiltonGrades: PK-8 | 164 students
564 Blue Hill Avenue
Milton, MA 02186
BostonGrades: PK-6 | 207 students
15 Brimmer Street
Boston, MA 02108
CambridgeGrades: PK-12 | 639 students
45 Matignon Road
Cambridge, MA 02140