Grades: K-12 | 45 students
- Little River Community School is an alternative school serving 40 students, grades K-12, in a four-room schoolhouse, in Canton, NY. At Little River, we have a fundamental trust in children and their inherent motivation to learn about their world.
- Children are given the opportunity to embark on their quest for knowledge and understanding at their own pace.
- We provide many resources for this journey, including experience, support, encouragement, a variety of hands-on learning materials and opportunities for field trips.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 8:1, we create the "one-room school house" model where students of all ages work together in the same class.
- Children are encouraged to understand and relate to the changing world around them.
- Given the opportunity, the students develop self-reliance and confidence, enabling them to make decisions and to take responsibility for the results of their actions.
- We nurture continued self-motivation rather than dependence on external motivation.
- Little River students are encouraged to help one another and learn through cooperation.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Coalition of Alternative Community Schools
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||45 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||12:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$5,037|
|Tuition Notes||Tuition aid available for low and middle income families.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
National avg.: 85%
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
CantonGrades: PK-KG | 43 students
2 Powers St
Canton, NY 13617
PotsdamGrades: PK-6 | 96 students
45 Lawrence Avenue
Potsdam, NY 13676
OgdensburgGrades: PK-6 | 86 students
315 Gates St
Ogdensburg, NY 13669
GouverneurGrades: PK-6 | 129 students
20 S Gordon St
Gouverneur, NY 13642
NicholvilleGrades: KG-8 | 20 students
Po Box 128
Nicholville, NY 12965
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.