- Lucy School is an Arts-Based School with faculty who specialize in the Early Childhood years: Preschool through 5th Grade.
- Lucy School is located on a 17-acre campus complete with pond, waterfall, woodlands with learning trails and fields for running and jumping.
- Our arts-based curriculum is designed to promote the transfer of learning between the arts and other subjects.
- We follow Maryland State Department of Education's Voluntary Curriculum Objectives with additional arts-enriched coursework.
- The children plant and harvest an organic garden and environmental stewardship is central to our science program.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association for the Education of Young Children|
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Total Students||102 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||14 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,200|
|Tuition Notes||Cost is for Primary Grades and 5-day Preschool program. Two-day and Three-day program options for preschool are pro-rated. We also offer a before and afterschool program.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Victoria Brown, Ph.D.|
|Admissions Associate||Summer Irvin|
|Total Sports Offered||1 sports|
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||3 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Nature Classes, Piano and Dalcroze, Solfege or other Music and Movement styles. Nature Classes, Piano and Dalcroze,
Solfege or other Music and Movement styles.,
- Lucy School's arts-based curriculum uses the emotional, social, and sensory dimensions of the arts to engage students, encourage critical thinking, and influence development and learning across the curriculum. It connects the content of art to children's personal experiences and their need to make meaning from the world. Arts-based learning makes the arts an interdisciplinary partner with other subjects and orchestrates higher order thinking using the creative problem solving process. Students are provided rich experiences in the arts and thoughtful integrated curriculum that makes deep structural connections between the arts experiences and other subjects. This enables students to learn both deeply. Arts-based teaching is more hands-on than traditional teaching, offering children more opportunities to experience "living through situations" than they would in a traditional classroom, thereby developing a level of critical thinking and problem solving skills that is not afforded in traditional educational settings. This is supported by ample research in the field of arts integration. Since the primary grades were established at Lucy School, the majority of children leaving are above grade level in all subject areas.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ShepherdstownGrades: PK-12 | 4 students
138 Greensburg Rd
Shepherdstown, WV 25404
MartinsburgGrades: PK-8 | 361 students
110 E. Stephen St.
Martinsburg, WV 25401
Allder School Road
Purcellville, VA 2013223.3PK-6