Grades: 6-12 | 262 students
Cross-referenced subject projects (using Mathematics, Science, History and Art) in Technology and Skills class include construction and creation of violins. Another project is based on Leonardo Da Vinci's notebook drawings of machines. The 7th graders made drawings and then designed working models based on their drawings.
LILA grads are accepted to the world's top universities: Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Oxford, Edinburgh, McGill, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, Brown, and Sciences Po. They take with them what their years at LILA have taught them: communication, adaptability, problem- solving and agility skills; and the confidence to effect change in their communities, their professions, and the global society in which they live.
LILA team sports include basketball, soccer, volleyball, futsal, and tennis. The teams, known collectively as the LILA Lions, are taught the fundamentals of athletic development, team spirit, and commitment. The athletics department fosters principles of good sportsmanship, respect, fair play, and athletic excellence. All LILA Lions coaches insist on integrity, ethical conduct, and accountability in their players.
The close-knit school community spirit is illustrated at events such as this Campus Greening Day. The school community came together to plant trees on the new campus. We believe that a true international education must include community service, if we are to raise socially-conscious young people. LILA students are active community service volunteers.
LILA's Secondary Campus in Burbank opened in August, 2013 when 262 students moved from shared quarters with the Los Feliz elementary campus. All classrooms feature interactive Smartboards, whiteboard walls, and custom-designed modular student desks. The new campus is a joint effort by the unique and close-knit LILA school community of parents, students and staff from all 5 campuses.
LILA students switch easily between languages. In this school theater production, students presented Eugène Ionesco's 'Les Chaises/ The Chairs' in back-to-back performances in French and then in English. Part of the project was a group exercise in translating the original French version into their own English version.
History Week is an annual event and the 2015 theme was 'Rebels of History'. The entire campus embarked on variations of the theme, from Epic Rap Battles between historical figures portrayed by students and teachers, to interactive student-created exhibitions, Dress-Up Day, a History Trivia Challenge and a History Face-Off Bowl.
Lycée International de Los Angeles (LILA) is an international preschool through 12th grade bilingual school that offers an English and French curriculum.
All students study a common bilingual program from preschool through 9th grade after which they have a choice between the rigorous and well-balanced French Baccalauréat and International Baccalaureate Diploma programs.
In 2015, The Washington Post listed LILA as the nation’s 12th most challenging private high school.
With five Los Angeles-area campuses (Burbank, Los Feliz, Orange County, Pasadena, and West Valley), and over one thousand students, LILA holds triple accreditation from the French Ministry of Education, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). LILA is committed to academic excellence in a nurturing and intimate environment that encourages personal initiative, creativity and curiosity, and to preparing students of all backgrounds to excel and contribute to a global world.
Since 1978, LILA has been instilling the love of learning in all its students through small classes and low student-to-teacher ratios.
With over 50 nationalities and 39 spoken languages represented on the campuses, LILA students study and live in a diverse global community every day.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||European Council for International Schools
Other special emphasis association(s)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||262 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||French Bac Advanced Biology, French Bac Advanced Economics & Social Sciences, French Bac Advanced French Literature, French Bac Advanced History/Geography, French Bac Advanced Mathematics, French Bac Advanced Physics/Chemistry, French Bac Advanced Spanish, French Bac Philosophy, IB Film, IB Higher Level Biology, IB Higher Level Chemistry, IB Higher Level Economics, IB Higher Level English A Literature, IB Higher Level French A Language and Literature, IB Higher Level French B, IB Higher Level History, IB Higher Level Mathematics, IB Higher Level Music, IB Higher Level Philosophy, IB Higher Level Physics, IB Higher Level Psychology, IB Higher Level Spanish Language, IB Higher Level Visual Arts, IB ITGS (Information Technology for a Global Society), IB Theory of Knowledge|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(School dress code rules are strictly enforced.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$16,600|
|Tuition Notes||This is an average tuition amount. Tuition depends on grade.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$7,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Juliette Lange|
|Total Sports Offered||10 sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Dance, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, VolleyballBadminton, Basketball,
Freestyle Skiing, Indoor Soccer,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||18 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||11th/12th Grade Madrid, Spain trip, Basketball Team plays at Staples Center, Chess Club, Dance Show, Drama Club, French Exchange, High School Basketball, High School Futsal/Indoor Soccer, High School Volleyball, International School OIympics, Middle School Basketball, Middle School Soccer, Middle School Volleyball, Model United Nations, Montreal Exchange, Robotics Club, Rome, Italy Exchange, Writing Club Chess Club, Dance Show, Drama Club, Robotics Club, Writing Club, 11th/12th Grade Madrid, Spain trip,
Basketball Team plays at Staples Center,
High School Basketball,
High School Futsal/Indoor Soccer,
High School Volleyball,
International School OIympics,
Middle School Basketball,
Middle School Soccer,
Middle School Volleyball,
Model United Nations,
Rome, Italy Exchange,
- LILA's core values are: first and foremost, academic excellence; collaboration, communication and community; commitment to the curriculum; utmost respect for all individuals within the school community; cultural diversity; and intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- LILA teaches a bilingual immersion program from Preschool through 12th grade where students study subjects in both English and French. LILA follows the French Ministry of Education's academic program in a bilingual context. Teachers in each language are native speakers and the percentage of each language of instruction varies at each grade level. In 6th grade, Spanish language class is added as a requirement. Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Arabic and German are offered as electives.
- Besides the scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism, LILA aims to gift students with the value of a constructivist education where students are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. Constructivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners. We aim to instill the love of learning in all our students.
- Our Burbank campus hosts our secondary division (6th through 12th) with an enrollment of 262 students and an academic team of over 30 full-time teachers. The vast majority of LILA's teachers hold Master’s or Ph.D teaching credentials, and at the minimum, hold a Bachelor’s degree. The core of the school’s faculty is French by nationality and/or origin; most teachers have been trained in France and are certified by the French Ministry of Education’s rigorous credentialing regulations. English and English programs are taught by well qualified native speakers and IB (International Baccalaureate) teachers are trained according to the guidelines of the IBO (International Baccalaureate Organisation) in Geneva, Switzerland.
- LILA is an IB (International Baccalaureate) World School, in addition to being accredited by the French Ministry of Education and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). LILA also belongs to the Agence pour l’enseignement français à l’étranger (AEFE) and Mission laïque française (MLF) networks of schools.
- At the end of 9th grade, all students sit the French National Brevet examination. At the end of 10th grade, students choose between one of two Baccalaureate programs for their final two years at LILA: both programs are rigorous, pre-university courses of study that meet the needs of highly-motivated high school students. Regardless of orientation, each student takes an average of 34 class periods per week; each period is 50 minutes in length.
- In addition to receiving the U.S. High School Diploma, ALL LILA high school students take one of two programs: the IB Diploma or the French Baccalauréat. All subjects in both Baccalaureate programs are considered pre-college and advanced level, and are highly regarded by University Admissions personnel. LILA further requires students in both programs to fulfill 150 hours of community service as part of their roles as world citizens.
- The International Baccalaureateis a comprehensive two-year curriculum which promotes student-autonomy, independent research and a rich, postmodern educational environment. The IB Diploma is designed as a microcosmic version of a university degree program. Subjects are studied concurrently and students are exposed to the two great traditions of learning: the humanities and the sciences. A thesis-equivalent Extended Essay and Theory of Knowledge class and examination are part of the IB Diploma requirements.
- The French Baccalauréat: LILA offers two sections of the Baccalauréat Général: S and ES. The Scientific (S) section offers a strong emphasis on mathematics and sciences. It is tailored for students who want to major in fields of medicine, engineering, or sciences. The Economic & Social Sciences (ES) is recommended for students who plan to major in economics or law. It provides a strong foundation in humanities, math, and foreign languages.
- Because our students, teachers, and staff come from many nations (50 nationalities are represented on our campuses, with 39 languages), we stress social studies and the concept that we are all citizens of one world. Our small, nurturing classes and small student-to-teacher ratios facilitate this.
- 5 campuses: - Burbank (Secondary) - Los Feliz - West Valley (Tarzana) - Pasadena - Orange (Santa Ana)
- Shuttles are provided for students from the Los Feliz, West Valley and Pasadena campuses to the Burbank campus secondary school.
- LILA grads are accepted to the world's top universities: Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Oxford, Edinburgh, McGill, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, Brown, and Sciences Po. They take with them what their years at LILA have taught them: communication, adaptability, problem- solving and agility skills; and the confidence to effect change in their communities, their professions, and the global society in which they live.
Profile last updated: 11/24/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
La PuenteGrades: 9-12 | 1404 students
14301 Fairgrove Ave
La Puente, CA 91746
OrangeGrades: 9-12 | 1345 students
2222 North Santiago Blvd
Orange, CA 92867
San FranciscoGrades: 9-12 | 1466 students
2001 37th Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94116
San DiegoGrades: PK-12 | 1227 students
6501 Linda Vista Rd
San Diego, CA 92111
La Canada FlintridgeGrades: 7-12 | 507 students
4543 Crown Ave
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011