Grades: NS-5 | 147 students
Besides the scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism, LILA aims to gift students with the value of a constructivist education where students are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction. The aim is to instill the love of learning in all students.
LILA is accredited by the French Ministry of Education, as well as the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the International Baccalaureate Organisation (IBO) in Geneva, Switzerland. Every campus has their own Academic team to oversee the campus curriculum and the many related activities.
Lyce International de Los Angeles (LILA) is an international preschool through 12th grade bilingual school that offers an English and French curriculum.
All students study a common bilingual program from preschool through 9th grade after which they have a choice between the rigorous and well-balanced French Baccalaurat and International Baccalaureate Diploma programs.
In 2015, The Washington Post listed LILA as the nation`s 12th most challenging private high school.
With five Los Angeles-area campuses (Burbank, Los Feliz, Orange County, Pasadena, and West Valley), and over one thousand students, LILA holds triple accreditation from the French Ministry of Education, the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). LILA is committed to academic excellence in a nurturing and intimate environment that encourages personal initiative, creativity and curiosity, and to preparing students of all backgrounds to excel and contribute to a global world.
Since 1978, LILA has been instilling the love of learning in all its students through small classes and low student-to-teacher ratios.
With over 50 nationalities and 39 spoken languages represented on the campuses, LILA students study and live in a diverse global community every day.
|School Type||School with Special Program Emphasis|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other school association(s)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
International Baccalaureate (IB) World School
|Grades Offered||Grades Nursery/Preschool-5|
|Total Students||147 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(School dress code enforced)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$17,150|
|Tuition Notes||This is an average tuition amount. Tuition depends on grade.|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Juliette Lange|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Gymnastics, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Cross Country, Dance,
Tennis, Track and Field,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||8 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Soccer, art, baseball, basketball, cross country, dance, music, track and field Soccer, art, baseball, basketball, cross country, dance, music, track and field,
- LILA's core values are: first and foremost, academic excellence; collaboration, communication and community; commitment to the curriculum; utmost respect for all individuals within the school community; cultural diversity; and intellectual curiosity and open-mindedness.
- LILA teaches a bilingual immersion program from Preschool through 12th grade where students study subjects in both English and French. LILA follows the French Ministry of Education's academic program in a bilingual context. Teachers in each language are native speakers and the percentage of each language of instruction varies at each grade level. Beginning in Preschool, French is not simply a subject but also the language of instruction. English increases as the grade levels move up.
- Two teachers are assigned to every class, one a native French speaker and the other, a native English speaker, in order to support all students: LILA believes that ALL students should be supported to their full potential.
- Besides the scientifically proven benefits of bilingualism, LILA aims to gift students with the value of a constructivist education where students are actively involved in a process of meaning and knowledge construction as opposed to passively receiving information. Constructivist teaching fosters critical thinking, and creates motivated and independent learners. We aim to instill the love of learning in all our students.
- The vast majority of LILA's teachers hold Master`s or Ph.D teaching credentials, and at the minimum, hold a Bachelor`s degree. The core of the school`s faculty is French by nationality and/or origin; most teachers have been trained in France and are certified by the French Ministry of Education`s rigorous credentialing regulations. English is taught by well qualified native speakers.
- Because our children and teachers come from many nations (50 nationalities are represented on our campuses, with 39 languages), we stress social studies and the concept that we are all citizens of one world. Our small, nurturing classes and small student-to-teacher ratios facilitate this.
- 5 campuses: Los Feliz (Prek-5th) - West Valley:Tarzana (Preschool-5th) - Pasadena (Preschool-5th) - Orange (Preschool-8th) - Burbank (6th-12th)
- Shuttles are provided for students from the Los Feliz, West Valley and Pasadena campuses to the Burbank campus secondary school.
- Each campus has its own director, staff, community and personality, but they all share LILA`s outstanding international education and commitment to a full immersion bilingual program.
- In addition to receiving the U.S. High School Diploma, ALL LILA high school students take one of two programs: the IB Diploma or the French Baccalaurat. All subjects in both Baccalaureate programs are considered pre-college and advanced level, and are highly regarded by University Admissions personnel. LILA further requires students in both programs to fulfill 150 hours of community service as part of their roles as world citizens.
- LILA grads who complete the entire school program are accepted to the world's top universities: Princeton, Columbia, Stanford, Oxford, Edinburgh, McGill, UC Berkeley, Dartmouth, Brown, and Sciences Po. They take with them what their years at LILA have taught them: communication, adaptability, problem- solving and agility skills; and the confidence to effect change in their communities, their professions, and the global society in which they live.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PasadenaGrades: KG-12 | 859 students
1030 E California Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106
PasadenaGrades: K-8 | 40 students
1005 Armada Drive
Pasadena, CA 91103
PasadenaGrades: K-8 | 516 students
405 S Euclid Ave
Pasadena, CA 91101
PasadenaGrades: K-8 | 353 students
1720 Kinneloa Canyon Rd
Pasadena, CA 91107
PasadenaGrades: NS-8 | 173 students
651 N. Orange Grove Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91103
I have three children at LILA Pasadena and so far our experience has been wonderful. All of my children started in Pre-K and my eldest is now in the fourth grade. The teachers are focused caring and create environments that are perfect for learning. As a parent who understands some French, but is not a native speaker I feel very supported and I am amazed at me eldest's facility with the her new language as well as her abilities in English. My husband and I had at first committed to sending our children to LILA only through the fifth grade and now we can't imagine any other school that we could be this happy with.
- Posted by Parent - calix
My son is completing pre-school and I couldn't be happier. Our family has always had an interest in our children being bi-lingual. While neither my wife nor I are fluent in French, our son already understands French fluently. But that's not all. Lila shapes, motivates and promotes students. Our son enjoys learning. His motor skills have improved leaps and bounds. His socialization also has also improved greatly. All my encounters with the staff and school, in general, have been positive. This is a dedicated, professional, and caring staff with an incredibly experienced head of school. My wife and I feel lucky that we found Lila and feel that we are getting more than our money's worth. It's a great feeling when you believe you''ve found the right school. Lila is the right school for us, I encourage you to discover if it's the right school for you. A happy parent.
- Posted by Parent - jrich
My children have been here for nearly 6 years. A common problem I share with many parents is that our children don't want to leave at the end of the day because they''re having so much fun with their good friends, and because they are at home and at ease. Is this really a problem? No. In this day and age of so many fears, educational dilemmas, and a wide variety of learning needs, it is my greatest delight that my children love their school, they have good friends, there is zero bullying, and problems (which are few) are resolved promptly and totally. Phillipe Detzen, our principal, provides strong leadership that is also compassionate, thoughtful, and quite nuanced to meet the needs of each child. There is fun in learning, and creativity is nurtured. My 3rd grader reads at an 8th grade level. I wish I could take credit for that, but it's due to her fine education at this school, which we love. (On a side note, bilingual education is great for the brain, in youth and in life. Google it.) The bottom line? I highly recommend this school.
- Posted by Parent - livvy
I am a very satisfied parent of LILA Pasadena, and currently have one son enrolled in the school. He began with LILA as Pre-K student and am thrilled to say it has been such a positive experience for him. The quality of education, structure of the program and amazing teachers he is learning from will undoubtedly make him a unique person with so many positive attributes that will carry him far in his future and help him do amazing things. Merci LILA, and here's to many more years!
- Posted by Parent - ambid
Lila school is an awesome and exceptional international school, my kids love this school and have been here for 6 years, it feels like a second family. They have absolutely flourished at Lila and it has been a wonderful experience for them. They have a small class, with well educated kids who are all friends! The teachers are very accessible as is the administration, all the teachers are amazing, attentive, caring and dedicated. It is a great place to learn, grow and become a more well rounded individual. What an amazing opportunity for the kids to be bi-lingual and learn in an international multi-cultural environment! That's the best gift we can offer them in life and I am glad we did it.
- Posted by Parent - loicr
Much more than learning another language I decided to start my children on a third language as early as possible and researched many different schools and programs. After I met the preschool teacher and the director (principal) of the LILA Pasadena campus, I decided to enroll my child at LILA "until kindergarten." Six years later, all of my children are now attending LILA. What I love about the school goes beyond learning another language and culture. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the French education system is rigorous. At first, I was unsure whether my children's English abilities would stagnate. However, this has not turned out to be an issue. The students receive a couple hours of English instruction a week by a dedicated English teacher which I believe has helped my children to become very strong readers. In addition, I like that fact that my children have to regularly memorize and recite poems in French (-so adorable) and perform in two school productions a year. LILA has helped my children to become culturally well-rounded and socially conscious citizens. They can identify composers and artists and tell me about European history. They have camped at Joshua Tree (-annual school field trip) without running water for three days and have made paper, so they understand the concept of conserving water and recycling. Because the school is small, the families and faculty are accountable and dedicated. The director knows each child. The office staff keep the parents updated about events. The parents volunteer and get to know each other during various social events throughout the year. The children from different grades come friends because they play together during breaks. The teachers often blog and post photos/videos of what the children learned during the day (in their own time) to keep the parents informed. What I love about LILA is that my children love school and they learn things that I cannot teach at home.
- Posted by Parent - sesil
Both of my children are now enrolled at LILA Pasadena. They each started in pre-k and my elder son is graduating 5th Grade this year. He will move to the Burbank campus for the remainder of his studies. We are very attached to LILA and are proud of our teachers, staff, campus, as well as our families and students. Ours is a very caring community which comes together often to celebrate the diversity of our student body. Many children are tri-lingual and I love the fact that my children are exposed to so many different cultures and backgrounds. Parents share important friendships at LILA Pasadnea as well as our children.
- Posted by Parent - tgran
Our kids (5 and 7) have been going to LILA Pasadena for almost 5 years now. We absolutely love it, and they do too. This is a smaller school (about a 120 students), with a great sense of community and very involved parents. The immersion curriculum is well thought through and implemented. The director is a smart, dedicated and thoughtful leader, who knows all the kids well, makes sure they are encouraged to achieve more but also get everything they need. The teachers are enthusiastic and full of ideas, well trained, supportive of the kids and close to them, with strong academic credentials. Their program includes the traditional curriculum but also a strong emphasis on understanding the world. They take upon themselves to innovate to make sure every child thrives. I also love the fact that my kids have friends who come from all over the world and go on vacations everywhere. My kids think the world is their backyard....
- Posted by Parent - cecil
LILA has been such a wonderful place to send my son (4) to preschool. He is just doing so well there and I have no complaints just compliments. It is a priority in our family to have a dual language education and LILA has surpassed our expectations. We feel so lucky that we found LILA.
- Posted by Parent - mhack
We were keen for our daughter to learn a second language and after touring every school around, public, private, monolingual and bilingual we were immediately taken with the feel of the LILA community. We have now been at the Pasadena campus for a couple years and we could not be happier with how well our daughter has taken to the teachers and to a language not spoken at home. LILA has a very diverse group of families that help expose the kids different traditions and cultures at the same time providing a personal educational experience. We look forward to seeing our daughter progress through LILA all the way till grade 12.
- Posted by Parent - samsa
A wonderful and caring atmosphere where children can thrive. The most culturally diverse school in Pasadena.
- Posted by Parent - amuli
We have our 5 years old daughter in LILA Pasadena and my 3 years old is already enrolled for next year. She started in LILA Los Feliz but we moved to Pasadena last year. We love it. This is not a very big school so the ambient is very different than the one in big ones with thousands of kids. This allows everybody to know each other which is great for the kids and allows a strong community spirit. The dual language education was our main reason to choose LILA and it is amazing how fast the kids learn the language and moreover without "pain" but fun.
- Posted by Parent - sergi
My kids went to several Internationals Schools as we travel a lot and i really loved this year spent here. The teachers are great, the parents really friendly and everything is made smoothly ! I hope we will have the same level of education & comfort in our next destination. Really the best of American & French cultures !
- Posted by Parent - celin
January 11, 2017
Letters of interest and cover letters are frequently used interchangeably even though they have different purposes.
January 03, 2017
When you visit schools, please don't make the following common mistakes. A little thought and preparation will help you make the best impression possible.
December 21, 2016
Bullying has gone electronic. It's called cyberbullying and it is rampant.