Grades: 9-12 | 421 students
- Maine Central Institute is an independent college preparatory day and boarding high school founded in 1866.
- MCI pledges to provide a rigorous, comprehensive educational program to a multicultural student body with a wide range of abilities and interests.
- In a safe and caring atmosphere, students will acquire knowledge, self-esteem, social responsibility, and the critical thinking and communication skills necessary for global citizenship and lifelong learning.
- A high level of rigor and expectation of excellence in all components of the school's operation is critical, whether that be the academic program, the residential program, the co-curricular activities or the overall support system at the school.
- The people at MCI work diligently to focus on each student as an individual to ensure that every person grows academically, socially and physically and becomes a global citizen.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
State or regional independent school association
The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Other school association(s)
New England Association of Schools and Colleges
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||421 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 10%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Number of AP Courses||11 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Language & Composition, AP Literature & Composition, AP Physics, AP Statistics, AP Studio Arts, AP US Government, AP US History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Collared shirts and khakis, skirts, dresses, sweaters. No sleeveless shirts, jeans, tennis shoes, hooded sweatshirts, baseball hats.)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$42,000|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Clint M. Williams|
|Total Sports Offered||20 sports|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter Track, WrestlingBallet, Baseball,
Cross Country, Fencing,
Field Hockey, Football,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Winter Track, Wrestling,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||33 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Aomori Travelers, Art, Bossov Ballet Theater, Calligraphy, Captains Club, Chess, Chinese, Creative Writing, Culinary Club, Culture Diversity, Dorm Counsil, Fencing Club, French, Key Club, Kindness Krew, Lacrosse, Longboard Club, Masardis, Math Team, Model UN, National Honor Society, Outdoor Adventure Club, Paper Art Club, Ping Pong Club, Robotics Club, Rocket Club, Role Playing Game, Science & Outing Club, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Student Leadership Committee, Tennis/ Chess Club, Yearbook Art, Calligraphy, Captains Club, Chess, Chinese, Culinary Club, Dorm Counsil, Fencing Club, French, Key Club, Kindness Krew, Lacrosse, Longboard Club, Masardis, Math Team, Model UN, Paper Art Club, Ping Pong Club, Robotics Club, Rocket Club, Yearbook, Aomori Travelers,
Bossov Ballet Theater,
National Honor Society,
Outdoor Adventure Club,
Role Playing Game,
Science & Outing Club,
Student Leadership Committee,
Tennis/ Chess Club,
- Maine Central Institute is a traditional day and boarding program with college preparatory academics and a wide variety of athletics, arts, music, theatre, and on campus clubs and activities. The student body is made of people from all over the world and including many different parts of the US. Maine Central Institute Academic highlights:
- Manson Essay: It is a distinguished Junior essay (college-level) requirement originating in the late 1800's. All Juniors spend months researching and writing on a topic of their choice and end the assignment with an oral presentation of their essay in front of their peers.
- One to One ipad program: in 2013, MCI made a commitment to technology use in and out of the classroom by providing iPADs for all students and faculty members. Ipad and apple TV is used in our curriculum.
- Senior project: It is a capstone assessment, integrating students' mastery of communication skills, research techniques, public speaking conventions, and organization for independent, self-directed learning. Students devote five weeks to their chosen learning objectives, then present their knowledge and product to peers, family and community members.
- Bossov Ballet Theater: Bossov Ballet Theatre at Maine Central Institute is both a performing company and an international pre-professional ballet school. It offers pre-professional syllabus prepares students for a professional ballet career.
Profile last updated: 07/28/2015
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
HartlandGrades: 1-12 | 28 students
Po Box 510
Hartland, ME 04943
HinckleyGrades: 5-12 | 82 students
Po Box 159
Hinckley, ME 04944
SkowheganGrades: 1-12 | 47 students
19 Washburn Lane
Skowhegan, ME 04976
CornvilleGrades: 2-10 | 10 students
32 Spurwink Ln
Cornville, ME 04976
FairfieldGrades: PK-3 | 93 students
38 Sheridan Rd
Fairfield, ME 04937
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.