Grades: PK | 84 students
- The Mater Amoris Montessori School is dedicated to the philosophy of Dr. Maria Montessori in the belief that her teachings provide a scientifically based system which not only aids the child during early development, but throughout life.
- The Montessori philosophy is based on love for the child, respect for the child's dignity as a person, and a strong desire to help the child realize his or her fullest potential in society.
- The Montessori philosophy emphasizes the importance of spiritual and moral strength.
- The rural environment of the Ashton, Maryland campus fosters the development of thinking, self-sufficient, and flexible young people - whatever their chosen course of life.
- The 13-acre campus brings pupils into close contact with nature, where they enjoy clear air and spacious surroundings.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Association Montessori International (AMI)|
|Total Students||84 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 34%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||8 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1
National avg.: 13:1
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Barbara Heikkinen|
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ColumbiaGrades: PK-K | 41 students
10449 Green Mountain Cir
Columbia, MD 21044
ColumbiaGrades: PK-3 | 128 students
9760 Owen Brown Rd
Columbia, MD 21045
PotomacGrades: KG-12 | 374 students
8224 Lochinver Ln
Potomac, MD 20854
Mater Amoris is an amazing school. The traditional Montessori curriculum is the center piece of this lovely school especially in regards to the education of the whole child. The parent community is warm and inviting with many opportunities to volunteer. My communication with teachers has been wonderful. The children of Mater Amoris graduate with a deep love of learning, independence, compassion for others and our planet, and strong sense of self. They are also able to advocate for themselves. This school is a treasure on 13 acres in Ashton, Maryland.
- Posted by Parent - carri
After sending our son to one of the perennial "Best of Howard County" preschools and finding ourselves extremely disappointed, we started exploring our options. We were lucky enough to have this quiet little gem of a school recommended to us by neighbors whose children had attended there years and years ago. I truly cannot say enough good things about this school and the love and education that our son receives there. The primary program, where children ages 2 1/2 to 6 are together in the classroom, has been extraordinary, and the children in the older classes (the school runs through age 12) are a testament to the type of person that the school produces. We feel so very blessed to have stumbled upon this extraordinary school and now have every intention of keeping our son there through age 12.
- Posted by Parent - ldino
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.