- Matheny Medical and Educational Center is a teaching hospital and a premier facility for people of all ages with developmental disabilities.
- Matheny specializes in the care of children and adults with cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, spina bifida and Lesch-Nyhan Disease.
- For children and young adults seeking residential or day programs, there is a team of caring professionals who understand the frustration and emotional and social trauma experienced by each new student.
- New students find other young people like themselves and buildings that are totally accessible.
- Every class is open to them, including art and music.
- Their self-esteem soars.
- They begin to experience opportunities, rather than limitations.
- For many, this is a major turning point in their lives.
- Young adults at Matheny are encouraged to continue their education and strive for community living.
- Five homes exist in nearby towns for the adults.
- Community living that accommodates all of the physical needs provides an opportunity for the person with disabilities to plan his or her life.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Association of Private Special Education Centers
Other special emphasis association(s)
Other school association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||60 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||15 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1
National avg.: 13:1