Grades: K-12 | 28 students
Minnick Schools, a service division of Lutheran Family Services of Virginia, are not-for-profit proprietary day schools, licensed by the Virginia Department of Education.
Minnick Schools partner closely with local school divisions and community agencies to provide academic and behavioral instruction for children ages 5 through age 22 who are not succeeding in a traditional public school setting.
Counseling services and specially designed programs round out our services, which assist students in their transition back to public school or the most appropriate setting. Minnick Schools are individually accredited by or are a member if the Virginia Association of Independent Specialized Education Facilities (VAISEF).
Guiding Principles:These principles form the foundation of our organization.They represent the best of what we aspire to in leadership, service delivery, policy, procedures, planning, work, and life.
*Abundance *Relationships *Person-Centered *Shared Ownership *Stewardship.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other special emphasis association(s)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Emotional Disabilities, Behavioral Disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, Developmental Disabilities, Multiple Disabilities, OHI|
|Total Students||28 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||10 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Khaki pants and collared shirt)
- Our schools offer a curriculum that is based on the Virginia Standards of Learning in a unique and nurturing environment. Instructional staff implement research-based, student-centered strategies that focus on teaching student to self-regulate problem behaviors and increase successful learning behaviors.
- Individualized Instruction
- Waterford Reading, Math, and Science-Waterford Institute
- Gradpoint, a Pearson online program offering courses for students grades 6-12
- Instruction on pragmatic social skills
- Functional life skills program
- Specialized classes
- Counseling services
- Transition services
- Community-Based Instruction
- Community-Supported Employment
- Job Coaching
- Extended School Year Program
- School wide positive behavior support
- Board-Certified Behavior Analyst
Profile last updated: 07/21/2015
Nearby Private Schools:
- School Location Miles Grades Students
WythevilleGrades: PK-8 | 21 students
1705 Peppers Ferry Rd
Wytheville, VA 24382
Max MeadowsGrades: PK-12 | 36 students
4927 E Lee Hwy
Max Meadows, VA 24360
HillsvilleGrades: 5-12 | 66 students
Po Box 1268
Hillsville, VA 24343
HillsvilleGrades: K-1 | 18 students
Po Box 1396
Hillsville, VA 24343
GalaxGrades: 2-11 | 11 students
101 N Depot Ave
Galax, VA 24333
Rental Market Monitor
January 25, 2016
This is a very practical list of things you must do before you graduate. The items on this list will enhance your college applications.
January 08, 2016
Here are my picks for 'must have' web sites when it comes to finding out about private K-12 schools.
January 05, 2016
Many parents search for an answer to the question "How do I provide the kind of religious education I want for my child?" Religious education is a very personal, subjective matter. We explore some of your options.