- The Montessori School of Washington offers early education for children aged 2 through 6 years.
- In the classroom, the child follows a natural progression through four categories of learning: The Practical Life Exercises involve simple tasks relating to care and maintenance of the child's environment.
- They give the child a sense of organization and concentration, as well as an appreciation of a completed cycle of activity.
- The philosophical foundation of the Montessori approach is based on the premise that education should be an aid to life.
- In order to develop their physical, intellectual and spiritual powers to the fullest, children must have freedom a freedom to be achieved through order and self-discipline.
- Respect for a child's personality and trust in the inner potentialities are prerequisite to the foundation of an adequate educational alliance between the child and the adult.
- In the Montessori classroom today, the environment is carefully prepared with manipulative materials created by Dr. Montessori.
- The children choose their own activities, work at their own pace, and repeat these activities for as long as they wish.
- They develop confidence, independence, and a sense of order.
- The Primary Program admits children from 2 through 6 years of age, and all age groups are mixed in the classroom.
- For the youngest children, the program is three years in duration.
- Parents are strongly urged to allow their children to complete the three-year cycle through their kindergarten year in order to receive maximum benefit from the Montessori Experience.
|School Type||Early Childhood / Day Care|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-Kindergarten|
|Total Students||25 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 48%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||1 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1
National avg.: 13:1
- School Location Miles Grades Students
HerndonGrades: PK-8 | 570 students
13625 EDS Drive
Herndon, VA 20171
ArlingtonGrades: PK-8 | 202 students
980 N Frederick Street
Arlington, VA 22205
ArlingtonGrades: PK-8 | 413 students
105 N. Thomas Street
Arlington, VA 22203
ArlingtonGrades: NS-3 | 74 students
923 23rd St S
Arlington, VA 22202
WashingtonGrades: PK-K | 50 students
1041 Wisconsin Ave Nw
Washington, DC 20007