Grades: PK-8 | 221 students
- Muhammad University of Islam was established in 1934 by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad in the city of Detroit, Michigan and re-established in 1989 in Chicago, Illinois by the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan.
- Our mission is to develop a new educational paradigm for the 21st century that begins with a God centered education.
- Our children are taught self-mastery.
- Mastery of self is the key to the mastering of all disciplines.
- Our focus is on literacy, training a generation of students to become leaders through their ability to be excellent readers and in addition, our children are taught civility, culture, refinement, respect for others, good manners and good morals.
- We are committed to providing a superior system of education that will prepare our children to meet the challenges of an ever changing world in the 21st century and beyond.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||European Council for International Schools
Alternative School Network
National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||221 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 31%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1
National avg.: 13:1
- Muhammad University of Islam was established in 1934 by the Honorable Elijah Muhammad in the city of Detroit, Michigan. The Muhammad Universities of Islam were born from the need to revive, reform and redeem black people who had suffered from the mis-education and hostility towards blacks in the public school system. The Honorable Elijah Muhammad founded Muhammad University of Islam because he had to reverse the poison inherent in the educational system. Muhammad University of Islam provides our children with the essential knowledge of Self and God. Recognition of God is the proper beginning point for understanding every discipline. One of the things that separates man from beast is knowledge. Knowledge feeds the development of the human being so that the person can grow and evolve into Divine and become one with the Creator. True education provides the proper cultivation of one's gifts, talents, mind, body and spirit by bringing us closer to fulfilling our purpose for being, which is to reflect Allah (God). At Muhammad Universities of Islam, our children are taught self-mastery. Mastery of self is the key to mastery of all disciplines because in some way every discipline is present within ourselves. The students are taught to relate the forces within self to the forces that lie outside the self. This connects the student to the disciplines that they are studying in a manner that enables them to ultimately master that discipline.
Profile last updated: 10/13/2015
March 23, 2017
Teachers need to learn how to be Facebook savvy. Otherwise Facebook will cause them lots of problems.
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.