- Newtown Friends School provides an education full of academic challenge, where students are encouraged to engage in the learning process, and to think creatively and independently.
- We are a community rooted in Quaker values, where respect is taught in principle and exemplified in practice.
- With this balanced foundation, students become confident individuals who think for themselves while caring for each other and the world around them.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Friends Council on Education (FCE)
Association of Delaware Valley Independent Schools (ADVIS)
Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS)
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||235 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 22%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||30 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||15 students|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$20,500|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||Rebecca Niszczak|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Track and FieldBasketball, Cross Country,
Equestrian, Field Hockey,
Track and Field
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||9 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||After School Clubs - Chess, Ballet, Chinese, Fishing, Golf, Guitar, Legos, Robotics, The Agents of Social Change (TASC) Ballet, Chinese, Fishing, Golf, Guitar, Legos, Robotics, After School Clubs - Chess,
The Agents of Social Change (TASC),
- At Newtown Friends School, we believe how students learn is as important as what they learn. We focus on providing our students with the skills they will need to learn and adapt to a rapidly changing world where traditional models of education have become obsolete. Our students are life-long learners and leaders who act and speak with confidence and conviction. They apply critical thinking and creativity to solve problems.
- The school is a leader in outcomes-based education as demonstrated by students':
- -High scores on educational achievement assessments. Although we do not "teach to the test" our students achieve scores that are higher than the average for students at independent schools.
- -Preparation for the most selective high schools and universities in the country with an emphasis on the best fit for the student.
- -Service to their communities and the world
- -Career success later in life
- These outcomes are achieved through the school`s 8:1 student-to-faculty ratio, which gives our experienced teachers the opportunity to understand and care about your child. With an appreciation of your child`s unique capabilities, personality, passions and goals, teachers can focus on the areas that will benefit your child the most.
- As a Friends School, students, faculty and staff thrive in an environment that emphasizes the importance of respect for the individual, integrity, equality, social justice, simplicity, peace, community, collaboration, and environmental stewardship. We believe this allows students to become well-rounded individuals who "do well and do good" throughout their lives. The school embraces students from all religious backgrounds, races, and nationalities, and believes exposure to a wide variety of ideas and perspectives is critically important to all students` development.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Fairless HillsGrades: NS-8 | 250 students
235 S Olds Blvd
Fairless Hills, PA 19030
NewtownGrades: KG | 37 students
101 Richboro Newtown Rd
Newtown, PA 18940
Washington CrossingGrades: PK-5 | 116 students
1895 Wrightstown Road
Washington Crossing, PA 18977
BensalemGrades: PK-8 | 367 students
1704 Bristol Pike
Bensalem, PA 19020
LahaskaGrades: K-8 | 190 students
5684 York Road
Lahaska, PA 18931
I have attended this school for 10 years and I don't regret a single thing. The teachers and staff are wonderful and very caring. The relationship between students and teachers is unlike any other. Our academics are rigorous and the values that this school has are incredible. You will not find a mean student in our school and we are very accepting of all races, genders, religions, etc. I met many amazing students who share common interests as me. I can guarantee you that every student has the drive and desire to learn and succeed in our education. I couldn't imagine growing up in a different environment. Newtown Friends School has prepared me for bigger environments, and bigger leadership opportunities in my high school, and my community. I know that I am going to graduate from Newtown Friends School with a great idea of who I am, and who I plan on being in the future. Sincerely, Class of 2014 Student
- Posted by Student/Alumni - softb
We love this school! Our kids started in fourth and kindergarden, and we plan to stay till they are both through eighth grade. The faculty and administration create a warm, supportive environment, where everyone knows every child's name. There are about twelve kids in each class, so everyone gets special attention. Our son is in fifth grade and doing such advanced work that we feel like the whole class is an honors program. Newtown Friends School is school the way it should be: yes, there are some tests, but the emphasis is on instilling a LOVE OF LEARNING and there are many different ways for teachers to measure and monitor students' progress--unlike what the public schools have become. We both went to public schools, and intended to send our children to Council Rock, until we discovered the stressful, relentless environment of constant testing starting in third grade. Newtown Friends School is a breath of fresh air! The kids in K-5 have each of these specials TWICE A WEEK, ALL YEAR: Gym, Spanish, Music, Art, Science. Yes, it is expensive, but you should apply for financial aid, you may be surprised. The school website says: "With a commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive community, Newtown Friends School strives to make an independent school education affordable for students of varying financial resources. More than one-third of students at the school receive some amount of tuition assistance. There are no income limitations for financial aid consideration, but instead, a number of factors are evaluated including home equity, business-related expenses, consumer debt and the number of children attending a tuition-charging institution."
- Posted by Parent - steve
Newtown Friends School has honestly changed my life. The school has an unrivaled balance of quaker values and strong academics. I have been at Newtown Friends for nine years and am an eighth grade student, and have loved every second of the experience. Students at NFS are encouraged to participate in the numerous community service activities, and everyone who goes through the NFS program learns about how they can help both their local and global communities. Academics at NFS are very strong. All of the teachers challenge students, and there is a wide variety of choices when it comes to advanced courses. I, along with many other classmates have test scores well into the 80th and 90th percentile in both the SSATs and the ERBs, but more importantly have come to love learning. At Newtown Friends School, each individual person is taught to respect and value their piers. I would encourage anyone in grades Pre-K through 8 to come to Newtown Friends for a visit. I know of no other school that has such a balance of community and academics. I know that every Newtown Friends School student will graduate with both ambition to succeed and the knowledge to back it up.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - camer