Grades: 1-8 | 43 students
- Oakland School is a small co-educational boarding and day school for children in grades 1-8.
- Oakland offers an individualized program, ungraded curriculum, and daily one-to-one instruction. Oakland's program is beneficial to students that need to build skills in reading, written language, science, history, math, organization and study skills.
- Oakland's mission is three-fold: to enable students to successfully return to mainstream education at their appropriate grade level; to provide students with the tools to learn; and to instill in students the confidence required to reach their academic and personal potential.
|School Type||Special Education School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Other associations(s) for exceptional children
Other special emphasis association(s)
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, ADHD, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Social Communication Disorder, Processing, Executive Functioning|
|Total Students||43 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 26%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||10 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$49,450|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Admissions Director||Jamie Cato|
|Admissions Associate||Jennifer Ferguson|
|Total Sports Offered||11 sports|
|Sports||Archery, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, VolleyballArchery, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Indoor Soccer, Soccer,
- Oakland is a small co-educational boarding and day school for children in grades 1-8. Oakland offers an individualized program, ungraded curriculum, and daily one-to-one instruction. Oakland's program is beneficial to students that need to build skills in reading, written language, science, history, and math. The program is well suited for children needing support in study skills, organizational skills, and academic confidence. The small class size (5:1 student to teacher ratio) is beneficial for students struggling with attention issues or those that get lost in a large class setting. Oakland's mission is three-fold: to enable students to successfully return to mainstream education at their appropriate grade level; to provide students with the tools to learn; and to instill in students the confidence required to reach their academic and personal potential. Students participate in a variety of activities that include sports, off campus events and community projects. Weekly clubs are a great way to foster peer relations, explore interests and learn a variety of skills. There are three structured study halls per week for boarding students to complete homework and reinforce study and organizational skills. We have a variety of intramural sports and a wonderful horseback riding program included for all interested students. A 450 acre campus provides endless opportunities for outdoor activities. There is more information at our website: www.oaklandschool.net.
Profile last updated: 09/02/2015
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
TroyGrades: PK-6 | 89 students
Po Box 970
Troy, VA 22974
KeswickGrades: 4-11 | 34 students
PO Box 24
Keswick, VA 22947
LouisaGrades: 2-10 | 13 students
9459 Poindexter Rd
Louisa, VA 23093
CharlottesvilleGrades: PK-K | 94 students
1553 Delphi Dr
Charlottesville, VA 22911
Fork UnionGrades: 7-12 | 480 students
4744 James Madison Hwy, PO Box 278
Fork Union, VA 23055
Oakland's program is top notch and worth every penny. They gave my child confidence and helped him believe that he could learn. Oakland is the best school ever!
- Posted by Parent - Jacki
Oakland school individualizes each child's education to bring out the ability in each student. When my child attended Oakland for the first time she was struggling with the most basic concepts and reading far below her grade level. After one summer program we saw not only a huge improvement in her scores, but her self confidence and desire to learn had skyrocketed as well. My daughter is a full time student and regularly tells me how much she loves going to school and how excited she is to learn the curriculum. She is reading at grade level and excelling in her math classes. My daughter's entire vision of who she is and what she is capable has changed, she believes she can do anything she wants. Oakland School will always have a place in our hearts as the school that saw the potential in my daughter and helped her see it to!
- Posted by Parent - carri
We couldn't be happier with Oakland. Our daughter has attended for several years and absolutely loves going to school everyday! Her confidence is excellent, thanks to the Oakland environment, made up of truly caring and flexible teachers. And it's not just the teachers who care: the entire staff from the maintenance staff to the chef to the headmaster really work and cheer for these kids. The individualized attention has allowed my daughter to have more time in some subjects and accelerate in others. I have to reiterate what others have stated: Oakland is an outstanding value for such a well-rounded education. Visit campus to experience the welcoming environment and the beautiful grounds.
- Posted by Parent - jenni
Oakland School has made a tremendous difference in my daughter's life. She came there shy and beginning to feel badly about herself because of her difficulties in school. Within a few weeks in the program, I could see her confidence growing and her love of learning returning. The teachers are outstanding. The care about each student and really know how to motivate them to do their best. The administration is very involved. The campus is beautiful. The children are outside everyday and surrounded by trees and grass. My daughter has particularly benefitted from the horseback riding program. She had never riden before she when to Oakland, and she has discovered a love of horses and riding. Working with the horses has further increased her confidence and her strength, flexibility and coordination. Oakland is outstanding and as one other parent said, worth every penny. I would encourage you to go out and visit the school.
- Posted by Parent - lelia
Classes at Oakland are very small-- its overall student-teacher ratio is only 5:1! Every student gets the attention they need to reach their potential.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - acg4e
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.
February 10, 2017
The only way private schools can build their financial security is through gifts. Major gifts offer proof of how deeply many donors feel about their private schools. Their munificence is a wonderful example to others.