Grades: PK-8 | 361 students
Welcome to Old St. Mary's School! We are a vibrant and growing Catholic school in the South Loop of Chicago serving 250 children in preschool through 6th grade.
As we continue to grow, adding a grade level each year, we look forward to becoming one of the premier elementary schools in our city, serving students all the way up through the eighth grade.
We offer a rigorous academic program, rooted in a firm foundation of our Christian faith, preparing our students for the challenges of the twenty-first century and beyond.
Our students enjoy a curriculum designed with many hands-on learning opportunities.
Our location, just minutes away from the Museum Campus, allows us frequent access to the rich history and treasures of our great city.
Our students are challenged to observe carefully, think critically, and respond compassionately to the needs surrounding them.
Our goal for each one of our students is to become a life long learner, never losing that excitement of knowing more about the world in which we live.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
National Association for the Education of Young Children
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||361 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 32%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||32 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(plaid jumper or skirt; blue slacks and white shirt and sweater vest)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Jan. 31|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$7,500|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$1,500|
|Total Sports Offered||2 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, VolleyballBasketball, Volleyball,
- Although Old St. Mary's parish is Chicago's first Catholic congregation and oldest parish in the city, it is now located in one of Chicago's newest church buildings. The Church was founded in 1833, but is currently in its sixth location. The original Saint Mary's Church was built in 1833 on the south side of Lake Street, west of State Street. The building was moved to the northwest corner of Michigan at Madison in 1836 where it was enlarged and an open belfry added. In 1843, with the establishment of the Diocese of Chicago, St. Mary's Cathedral was built on the southwest corner of Madison at Wabash. The original wooden structure was cut in half and moved to the grounds of the cathedral where the first Catholic grammar school in Chicago was established in 1846. The Cathedral was destroyed in The Great Fire in 1871. Most Chicagoans know the church from its former site, the corner of Wabash and Van Buren. In 2002 the parish community proudly dedicated their new church on South Michigan Avenue. It soon became clear that there would be a need for a new educational ministry. The many young families who had moved into the neighborhood were looking for a faith-based, quality education for their children. In 2004 Old St. Mary's School opened its doors to its first preschool class of 18 children. Today Old St. Mary's School serves over 250 students in preschool through sixth grade. Additional grades are being added each year until the school is a complete elementary school through the eighth grade. Construction of a new school building has just been completed to accommodate the tremendous growth of this vibrant parish community. Old St. Mary's Catholic School is dedicated to educating the children of its growing parish by:
- Providing a solid foundation in the Catholic faith, within the context of a challenging academic program, one that takes advantage of all of the cultural opportunities available in the city around us.
- Complementing the role of the family in nurturing a strong sense of dignity and self-worth in each child.
- Developing an appreciation in every child of their connection to others by fostering a sense of concern and a commitment to service.
- Encouraging habits that build strong minds in healthy bodies and that nurture secure and poised individuals who will be ready to meet the challenges of the present and future. *
Profile last updated: 05/24/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
ChicagoGrades: 9-12 | 1363 students
1076 West Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL 60608
ChicagoGrades: K-9 | 217 students
5467 S Woodlawn Ave
Chicago, IL 60615
ChicagoGrades: PK-8 | 248 students
4770 S Dorchester Ave
Chicago, IL 60615
ChicagoGrades: PK-8 | 159 students
1014 East 47th Street
Chicago, IL 60653
ChicagoGrades: PK-8 | 145 students
2301 S. Wentworth Ave
Chicago, IL 60616