- Phillips Academy, a co-educational, non-profit, residential secondary school, seeks students of intelligence and integrity from diverse cultural, racial, socioeconomic and geographic backgrounds. The school's residential structure enables faculty to support students in their personal, social and intellectual development. The academic program fosters excellence in all disciplines within the liberal arts tradition.
- Faculty members guide students in mastering skills, acquiring knowledge and thinking critically, creatively and independently.
- The school strives to help young people achieve their potential not only intellectually, but also artistically, athletically and morally, so that they may lead responsible and fulfilling lives.
- The academy is committed to establishing a community that encourages people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs to understand and respect one another and to be sensitive to differences of gender, ethnicity, class and sexual orientation.
- In its programs the school seeks to promote a balance of leadership, cooperation and service, together with a deeper awareness of the global community and the natural world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AksGIiWEEw4.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Total Students||1138 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 24%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||222 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Number of AP Courses||30 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Average SAT score||2112|
|Matriculation DataMatric. Data||Link to Matriculation Data|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(No dress code)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Feb. 1|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$50,300|
|Tuition Notes||Boarding Tuition: $50,300 Day Tuition: $39,100|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$39,400|
National avg.: 85%
|Admissions Director||James F. Ventre '79|
|Admissions Associate||Jill Thompson|
|Total Sports Offered||25 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Diving, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, WrestlingBaseball, Basketball,
Crew, Cross Country,
Field Hockey, Football,
Golf, Ice Hockey,
Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball,
Water Polo, Winter Track,
- Imagine a school where it's cool to be smart. What if you could learn and grow in a warm, welcoming community surrounded by smart, curious, motivated peers and inspirational teachers? At Andover, not only is it cool to be excited about Renaissance literature, a mysterious 19th-century skeleton, or AP math-your classmates are likely to share your enthusiasm. Conversations about issues like Middle East peace, gender roles, immigration, and sustainable energy, continue throughout the day.
- Imagine teachers who give you the freedom to think openly and deeply, to question and make mistakes. With more than 300 dynamic courses, Andover's rigorous academic program offers a strong foundation in the arts, humanities, mathematics, and natural sciences. Our more than 150 electives include student-faculty research, independent projects, and immersive learning opportunities locally and abroad. There is no single teaching method. Faculty share a philosophy of "learning by doing" and a zeal for using technology to inform and empower. The Academy's approach to teaching not only prepares students superbly for college, but also instills a lifelong love of learning.
Profile last updated: 04/28/2016
- School Location Miles Grades Students
North AndoverGrades: 9-12 | 381 students
1160 Great Pond Road
North Andover, MA 01845
South HamiltonGrades: 9-12 | 375 students
537 Highland St
South Hamilton, MA 01982
ExeterGrades: 9-12 | 1085 students
20 Main St
Exeter, NH 03833
ByfieldGrades: 9-12 | 400 students
1 Elm St
Byfield, MA 01922
DanversGrades: 6-12 | 1500 students
72 Spring Street
Danvers, MA 01923
If you are a hardworker, Andover is the right place for you. Truly the best school out there, and prepares you for college extremely well. You won't think that anything is hard after 4 years at this place...GO BIG BLUE!
- Posted by Student/Alumni - susu9