Grades: 1-8 | 24 students
The proud owner of a completed woodworking project! The youngest among us are taught proper safety techniques and allowed to participate and create beautiful things with the older students.
Small groups are the norm at Plumfield. Students have quality time with a loving tutor and several peers for math and language arts during each day.
Spending time each week outside in nature, exploring, observing, evaluating, assessing and enjoying is an essential component of our curriculum. Here students discover and observe evidence of beaver activity.
Students regularly participate in school-wide celebrations for holidays and other special occasions. Here, young boys spend time in the kitchen, learning about meal preparation by preparing the meal for the whole school to eat together.
Older students spend time in the spring researching a system of the body (or other topic of interest to them, related to the human body), preparing a power point presentation, then giving that presentation to their peers. There is time for Q&A, as well as feedback from students and teachers.
Last year, students performed 'A Christmas Carol', and the whole school participated either in the show or behind the scenes. It was a fantastic bonding experience for younger and older students.
Outside free time is another critical part of the day at Plumfield. Students have an hour at lunchtime for child-driven play. This is often the most joyful part of the day for students, and it's a prized time for them. Our students play cards, climb trees, roll giant snowballs, capture the flag, invent alphabets for new languages and have fun!
- Founded in 1993, Plumfield Academy, situated in a wooded setting in Danvers, Massachusetts, offers an intimate learning environment for positive and creative students in grades one through eight.
- Plumfield is a family-like small school dedicated to providing today’s children with a sane, balanced life of vigorous intellectual study combined with child-driven free play and exploration in nature.
- Charlotte Mason asserted: ‘Education is a life,” suggesting that an optimal education for children nurtures the body, mind and spirit in concert.
- While sustaining small-teacher-to-student ratios (1:8), the Plumfield family presents a unique and highly successful curricula incorporating character development, Great Books, personal narrative, the visual and performing arts and nature study.
|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 1-8|
|Offers Post-Graduate Year||Yes|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Dyslexia, Language Based learning Differences, Mild Learning Differences|
|Total Students||24 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 25%
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||4 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,225|
|Admissions Director||John Pension|
At Plumfield Academy we seek to offer, as Charlotte Mason described:
- an atmosphere where there is respect and understanding,
- a discipline of habits of mind and body,
- a life that includes intellectual, moral, and physical sustenance, and where the mind feeds on ideas.
Profile last updated: 07/16/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
BeverlyGrades: K-8 | 219 students
74 Hart St
Beverly, MA 01915
WakefieldGrades: NS-8 | 144 students
2 Audubon Road
Wakefield, MA 01880
DanversGrades: PK-8 | 307 students
14 Otis Street
Danvers, MA 01923
RowleyGrades: K-12 | 180 students
14 Forest Ridge Drive
Rowley, MA 01969
March 21, 2017
Future and current employers can find out all sorts of things about you these days. Make sure that you don't leave behind any damning electronic evidence.
March 21, 2017
Asking good questions at your job interview will improve your chances. Conversely asking bad questions will damage them.
March 20, 2017
You have a lot riding on your job interview. Here are some tips for a successful interview.