Grades: 6-12 | 168 students
- Rio Hondo Prep seeks to provide a college preparatory education for those students who might otherwise be lost in the crowd.
- We believe that students of average academic abilities can succeed and indeed excel at the college level and in the vocations that follow if they are given personal attention and encouragement.
- We believe that the average student needs an approach to education where stimulus is provided to each student in an array of areas.
- Rio Hondo Prep seeks to provide an atmosphere where the average student can thrive without being sidetracked by disruptive influences.
- We seek to give students their say by adhering to the democratic process.
- We believe that the best discipline is self-discipline and we hold high moral standards based on the Judeo-Christian ethic.
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-12|
|Total Students||168 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||22 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||20 students|
|Number of AP Courses||7 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Literature, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History|
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||Apr. 1 / rolling|
|Tuition Notes||Please contact School Office for current tuition.|
|Total Sports Offered||9 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Dance, Drill Team, Football, Soccer, Softball, VolleyballBaseball, Basketball,
Drill Team, Football,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||10 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Assistant Leadership Program, Drill Team, Educational Summer Tours, HS Performance Choir, HS Symphonic Band, MS Marching Band, Mock Trial, Required member of Kare Youth League, Science Camps, Visual Arts Drill Team, Mock Trial, Science Camps, Visual Arts, Assistant Leadership Program,
Educational Summer Tours,
HS Performance Choir,
HS Symphonic Band,
MS Marching Band,
Required member of Kare Youth League,
- All students take a college prep curriculum certified by the University of California. Graduation requirements match UC/CSU entrance requirements. All graduates are college bound.
- RHP Students have been accepted to UCLA, UC Berkeley and all other UC campuses, USC, Claremont Colleges, Northwestern, Penn St., Smith, Columbia and many others.
- All students participate in interscholastic athletics and the arts. Students also participate in month-long summer tours of the United States and Europe.
- Rio Hondo Prep has a long standing tradition of athletic success based on teamwork and an emphasis on building character. The "Kares" have won CIF Championships and State tournament berths in Football, Volleyball, and Basketball.
- Rio Hondo Prep School is a program of the Kare Youth League, a large youth organization serving the San Gabriel valley since 1931. Most RHP students have participated as members of Kare.
- Pearl Preparatory School is the affiliated K-5 elementary school located just one mile away.
- RHP Students enjoy summer and winter camping programs at Mount Kare, a fully developed residence camp in Wrightwood. High school students study natural history, geology, astronomy and wilderness survival in week-long intensive courses.
- A new sports center/auditorium complex opened in January 2012.
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PasadenaGrades: PK-12 | 326 students
67 W Bellevue Dr
Pasadena, CA 91105
San GabrielGrades: KG-12 | 486 students
8827 E Broadway
San Gabriel, CA 91776
PasadenaGrades: 9-12 | 709 students
3880 E Sierra Madre Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107
La PuenteGrades: 9-12 | 1404 students
14301 Fairgrove Ave
La Puente, CA 91746
ArcadiaGrades: 9-12 | 129 students
41 W Santa Clara Street
Arcadia, CA 91007
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.