Grades: PK-6 | 128 students
- Rock Prairie Montessori is a non-profit school that began in September 1994 through the efforts of several parents seeking an alternative education for their children.
- Rock Prairie Montessori’s program purpose is to operate a child centered school for children in accordance with the Montessori Method to encourage the development of every child to his or her maximum potential and to aid parents/guardians in the education of the child by involving them in the school.
- Rock Prairie Montessori is affiliated with the International Montessori Council (IMC) and The Montessori Foundation and our teachers are all certified Montessori instructors.
|School Type||Montessori School|
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||International Montessori Council (IMC)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-6|
|Total Students||128 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 29%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||20 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||2:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||25 students|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Comfortable clothes for children to work in and rubber soled shoes with backs)
Finances and Admission
|% on Financial Aid||
National avg.: 85%
- The day-to-day operations of the school are managed a Leadership Team that includes the Head of School, Director of Operations and Director of Development and Planning. The school is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of parents, community members, and the Head of School. Parents also serve on various committees to assist with the planning of social events and fundraisers. Children and their families from throughout southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois, as well as teachers and staff, comprise the Rock Prairie Montessori School community. Rock Prairie Montessori offers a free Montessori Beginnings Program for parents/caregivers and their child age birth to 23 months, a Toddlers' House Program for children ages 18 months to three years, a Children’s House Program for children ages three to six, and an Elementary Program grades first through sixth. Before school care, after school care and Summer School Programs are also available.
Nearby Private Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
JanesvilleGrades: 1-8 | 25 students
4324 E Bingham Road
Janesville, WI 53546
3327 East Milwaukee St.
Janesville, WI 53546
JanesvilleGrades: PK-8 | 92 students
709 Milton Ave
Janesville, WI 53545
JanesvilleGrades: NS-8 | 246 students
210 S Ringold St
Janesville, WI 53545
JanesvilleGrades: PK-8 | 252 students
1250 E Racine Street
Janesville, WI 53545
My son has been a student here since he was two. He is now six years old. We did not intend to stay this long, but it has been such a great place for him we can't bear to leave. The teachers/staff care about each child and family, and the quality of academics high. One aspect of instruction that our family really appreciates is that students don't just sit at a desk and take in the information. For a busy little boy, the movement, frequent changes, and style of teaching are invaluable.
- Posted by Parent - palis
I am a parent of two students at Rock Prairie. We have had our kids at the school since 2010. I can't imagine a better environment for learning and growing. The environment is fantastic, the teachers are amazing and consistent, the programs offered are flexible and effective and the staff is helpful and supportive. Our kids love the school and we love the school as parents. The whole school is focused on the needs of the child academically, emotionally, developmentally, physically and individually. The teachers are in tune with different children's needs and adapt easily to meet them. My kids are very different from each other. They have both excelled at Rock Prairie. The school teaches kindness, respect and peace. It is a major theme throughout the school. We are so glad our kids have the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful place.
- Posted by Parent - kpric
We couldn't be happier, and that includes our 2 year-old. The teachers are highly educated and provide true academic (including cognitive, social-emotional and physical development) support and feedback. We are in constant touch with our teachers and school staff. The classroom and grounds are beautiful and inspirational. We love being involved and have many opportunities. Our son only cried on his first day back this fall when we said, "We have to go now" (meaning mom and dad). He screamed, "I want to stay here!" He is excited to work and learn there. It's peaceful.
- Posted by Parent - summe
My daughter has attended since 2011 at the age of two. The school and the staff are amazing. They have allowed my daughter to excel as I don't feel she would have had the opportunity at another institution. At the age of 4 now she is beginning reading lessons which could not impress us anymore. The teachers and other school staff have made this school a necessity in our families lives.
- Posted by Parent - jenne
Great school. Our son enjoys the class, teachers, field activities, and various other things over there. Ms. Nancy and Ms. MaryAnn have been his favorites over there! Overall, we have seen so many improvements in him, starting from social skills, language, vocabulary, discipline, etc. We love the school and plan to send our second son over there as well.
- Posted by Parent - hemal
This is truly an amazing place. Janesville is lucky to have such an institution.
- Posted by Parent - Tmbue
This is a wonderful school. My daughter has been a student there since she was 2 years old. She is now starting her 1st grade year and is more excited than ever to be continuing her Montessori education at RPMS. Great teachers and staff, great administration, great families, and a great community to be a part of.
- Posted by Parent - autum
February 23, 2017
You probably have several reasons why you think a specific school might be a good fit for your needs and requirements. Have you considered all fifteen of these reasons?
February 11, 2017
Let's think about the employment process from the point of view of your making me want to hire you. Here are some points to ponder.
February 10, 2017
It is easy to fall into the trap of not keeping your skill-set current. There's no time and no need anyway. We look at why you need to keep things current and offer some suggestions as to how to proceed.