- Founded in 1964 our "Blue Ribbon School of Excellence" has a dedicated faculty and staff who are strongly committed to academic excellence built on sound contemporary pedagogy appropriate to each discipline.
- Both parents/guardians and faculty/staff prepare students for life-long learning by providing a college preparatory curriculum, as well as opportunities in life skills.
- Further, the school provides opportunities to enhance the moral and intellectual development of each student by offering a variety of co-curricular activities that embrace the importance of cultural, ethnic, and socio-economic diversity and that promote spiritual growth. Saint Joseph High School acknowledges the dignity, value and uniqueness of each student.
- The school is committed to enabling each young woman to become "all of which woman is capable" and to view herself as a positive force that contributes to the global community in "a spirit of excellence, tempered by gentleness, peace and joy.".
|School Membership(s)School Assoc.||National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA)
Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
|Religious Affiliation||Roman Catholic|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Learning Difference Programs||Yes|
|Learning Programs Supported||Language Based|
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School - Selected in 2002|
|Total Students||600 students|
|Student Body Type||All-girls|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||37 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1
National avg.: 13:1
|% Faculty w/Advanced Degree||
|Number of AP Courses||16 courses|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Advanced Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Drawing and Painting, English Language, Englsih Literature and Composition, Environmental Science, French, Government, Psychology, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Uniform skirt, blouse, sweater, vest,)
Finances and Admission
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Yearly Tuition Cost||$9,042|
|Tuition Notes||$9691 - Regular Rate $12,500 - International Student Rate|
|% on Financial Aid||
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$2,300|
|Admissions Director||Ms. Elise Severson|
|Admissions Associate||Mrs. Nancy Swartout|
|Total Sports Offered||14 sports|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Gymnastics, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water PoloBaseball, Basketball,
Cheering, Cross Country,
Tennis, Track and Field,
Volleyball, Water Polo,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||38 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Academic Decathlon, Amnesty International, Art Club, Book Club, CSF - California Scholarship Federation, CSJ Circle, Choir, Color Guard / Winter Guard, Dance Club, Drama Club, Entrepreneur Club, Environmental/Science Club, Film, Design and Broadcasting Club, Fitness Club, Food Club, French Club, French Honor Society, GAA - Girls' Athletic Association, Game Club, HOPE Club (Helping Other People Everywhere), Handbells, International Club, Italian Club, JAM (Japanese Animation Club), Junior Statesmen of America - Speech/Debate, Kiwins, Marching Band/Drumline (w/St. John Bosco), Model United Nations, Music Club, NHS - National Honor Society, PCN, Peer Helping, Percussion, Red Cross, SJ Press, Society of Women Engineers, Spanish Club, Spanish Honor Society Art Club, Book Club, CSJ Circle, Choir, Dance Club, Drama Club, Fitness Club, Food Club, French Club, Game Club, Handbells, Italian Club, Kiwins, Music Club, PCN, Peer Helping, Percussion, Red Cross, SJ Press, Spanish Club, Academic Decathlon,
CSF - California Scholarship Federation,
Color Guard / Winter Guard,
Film, Design and Broadcasting Club,
French Honor Society,
GAA - Girls' Athletic Association,
HOPE Club (Helping Other People Everywhere),
JAM (Japanese Animation Club),
Junior Statesmen of America - Speech/Debate,
Marching Band/Drumline (w/St. John Bosco),
Model United Nations,
NHS - National Honor Society,
Society of Women Engineers,
Spanish Honor Society,
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
- Saint Joseph High School welcomes international students to join our school community. Students from China, South Korea, and Vietnam are currently enrolled. Our faculty and staff understand the unique challenges these young ladies face and are committed to their academic success. Our college counselors work closely with international students to insure they are on track for meeting all California State, UC and private school requirements. Upon graduation international students are overwhelmingly accepted to the universities/colleges of their choice.
- We are a day school located in the southern part of Los Angeles county in the city of Lakewood.
- Application Process/Timeline
- An applicant must submit the following to begin the application process:
- A SJHS application with the non-refundable $250.00 fee.
- A copy of the student’s official transcripts (3 years) and two recommendations.
- Transcripts and recommendations must be translated to English prior to submission.
- Discipline and attendance record (3 years).
- A copy of the student's passport
- Two Recommendations - (one must be from an English instructor)
- For additional questions, please contact Mrs. Nancy Swartout, International Student Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Profile last updated: 09/15/2015
- School Location Miles Grades Students
DowneyGrades: 9-12 | 288 students
7851 Gardendale St
Downey, CA 90242
Santa Fe SpringsGrades: 9-12 | 690 students
9635 Greenleaf Avenue
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
AlhambraGrades: 9-12 | 240 students
1701 W Ramona Road
Alhambra, CA 91803
Los AngelesGrades: 9-12 | 258 students
2111 Griffin Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90031
Los AngelesGrades: 9-12 | 375 students
2851 Overland Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90064