|School Type||Alternative School|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||292 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||
State avg.: 44%
|Students by Grade|
Academics and Faculty
|Total Classroom Teachers||28 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||10:1
National avg.: 13:1
|Average Class Size||14 students|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
Finances and Admission
|Tuition Notes||See Website (varies by level and days attended)|
|Admissions Director||Amy Calloway|
|Admissions Associate||Lisa Boyd|
|Total Sports Offered||3 sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, VolleyballBasketball, Ultimate Frisbee,
|Total ExtracurricularsTotal Extra-curric.||4 extracurriculars|
|ExtracurricularsExtra-curric.||Destination Imagination, Hanging Lantern Literary Review, Running Club, Student Council Running Club, Destination Imagination,
Hanging Lantern Literary Review,
- SLO Classical Academy partners with parents to reach the minds, hearts and souls of young people through a rich, solid education and a dynamic, supportive community. Classical Education is a foreign concept to many in this modern age even though it has been the method and philosophy of education that has trained many of the greatest minds for over two millennia. The essence of Classical Education is multi-faceted. At SLO Classical Academy we view Classical Education as a method of education that emphasizes the forging of character, the fostering of wisdom, and the nurturing of a lifelong love of learning. To accomplish this we apply the tools of learning that have formed these great minds for so many years.
- One commonly agreed-upon element of classical education is that a student’s learning progresses through three stages of the Trivium: grammar, logic/dialectic, and rhetoric. These stages are loosely divided by developmental levels through which all children progress. TheTrivium can also be viewed as modes for learning any concept. First a child or adult must learn the grammar or fundamentals of the subject or skill being learned. After mastering the grammar, the individual is able to fit the concepts together logically in the logic stage. Lastly, the student is able to move from the logical ordering of the subject to the beautiful and winsome expression of the related ideas. A well-developed mind is able to utilize these learning strategies to approach any subject, skill, or new idea with confidence that mastery is attainable through the wise application of the Trivium. Because the Trivium aligns with the developmental growth of the individual, a classical education is most fruitful when it is started early and continued through high school. There are certain skills, knowledge, and dispositions that require maturity. Therefore, SLO Classical Academy has developed a Junior Kindergarten through high school education for developing a fully-prepared young person. While our full program is the ideal, we have found that students who join along the path still find great benefits and are able to thrive.
- We recently asked our parents why THEY love SLO Classical Academy. Top 20 answers are on the board...
- 1. The quality of time we get to spend with our kids today — while we can!
- 2. A community of parents who all really care about their kids' education.
- 3. No one is a slacker!
- 4. Small class sizes!
- 5. Teachers who really care about our kids; teachers who make each student feel special.
- 6. Emphasis on character development.
- 7. Learning alongside our children as we are doing schoolwork!
- 8. Creative assignments and excellent curriculum.
- 9. Superior education.
- 10. Books the parents love reading as much as the children and getting an education along with the kids!
- 11. They encourage creativity and individualizing the educational experience.
- 12. Students are studying the same subject matter at different grade levels, so it stimulates family discussion.
- 13. The opportunity to learn Latin!
- 14. Incredible home school support system and training.
- 15. Not teaching to standardized tests/no grades (until HS) — just focus on progress and potential.
- 16. Knowing what my child is being taught in school.
- 17. Overwhelming sense of family/community.
- 18. Having a voice.
- 19. Respectful children.
- 20. Beautiful art projects!
- What reasons resonate with YOU?
- School Location Miles Grades Students
San Luis ObispoGrades: NS-8 | 131 students
880 Laureate Ln
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
TempletonGrades: 1-8 | 34 students
1460 Plum Orchard Ln
Templeton, CA 93465
San Luis ObispoGrades: PK-6 | 89 students
4200 S Higuera St
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401