Maharishi School Of Enlightenment
|School Membership(s)||National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten - 12|
|Total Students||205 students|
|Student Body Type||Co-ed|
|% Students of Color||10% (IA School Avg.: 10%)|
|Students by Grade|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Total Classroom Teachers||42 teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1 (National school avg.: 13:1)|
|Finances and Admission|
|Admission Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Admissions Director||Noelle Boucherle|
|Total Sports Offered||7 sports|
|Tennis||Track and Field|
|Total Extracurriculars||9 extracurriculars|
|Boy Scouts||Destination ImagiNation|
|Environmental Club||Girl Scouts|
|Improv Comedy Club||Interact Club (Rotary International)|
|International Club||Speech Club|
- Maharishi School provides Consciousness-Based Education for preschool through 12th grade. Consciousness-Based Education adds two new components that are missing in modern education: The Transcendental Meditation program, which develops the students’ full mental potential, and the Science of Creative Intelligence.
- The Transcendental Meditation program is a simple, natural, effortless technique practiced worldwide by people of all religions and cultures. It provides a deep level of rest while the mind remains alert, and the brain becomes more orderly and coherent. The benefits for students include reduction of stress and anxiety, increased intelligence, and enhanced creativity.
- The Science of Creative Intelligence is a supplementary course designed to make all fields of knowledge meaningful. It reveals the laws of nature at the basis of each field of study. Whether the student is studying art, math, biology, or sustainable living, the Science of Creative Intelligence develops a higher order of thinking skills, because they learn to see deeper, more universal principles in all of their subjects.
- From the Head of School, Dr. Richard Beall: The Science of Creative Intelligence is all about making connections. The laws of nature that structure a child’s personal experience and growth are the same laws that structure every field of life. Studying these principles makes education more relevant to the students’ daily lives. It makes them eager to learn and helps them to appreciate the purpose and diversity of all the various disciplines.
- 95% of graduates admitted to respected colleges and universities, including Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Johns Hopkins.
- Accredited by Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS). The Iowa Department of Education has accredited grades K-6 and has awarded grades 7-12 college preparatory status in recognition of the high percentage of graduates accepted at four-year colleges and universities.
- Classes consistently score in the top one percent on national standardized tests.
- 16 National Merit Scholars and 34 National Merit Semi-Finalists during our 30 year history.
- Awards from the 2009-2010 school year include five state championships in Visual Arts, Science, Poetry, Destination ImagiNation and Robotics.
- Nature Explore Classroom (playground) for preschool through 2nd grade certified by the Arbor Day Foundation provides hands-on nature experience
- Sustainable living component with on-site greenhouse and special seed-to-table kitchen. Only organic food is served in the dining hall, complete with a salad bar.
- Day program preschool through 12th grade. Boarding option 9th through 12th grade.
Gr. PK-12 | 0 mi. away
Gr. 2-3 | 1.7 mi. away
Gr. K-12 | 3.7 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 22.9 mi. away
Gr. PK-12 | 23.1 mi. away
Gr. K-7 | 23.2 mi. away